Tammy Hertel, PhD
- PhD, Spanish Applied Linguistics, The Pennsylvania State University, 2000
- MA, Spanish Literature and Linguistics, University of Wisconsin-Madison, 1995
- BS, Spanish and Secondary Education, University of Wisconsin-La Crosse, 1993
Experience and Background
- Fall 2006-present: Associate Professor, Spanish, Lynchburg College
- Summers 2004, 2006, 2007: Instructor, ESL Teacher Certificate Program in Ecuador, Juniata College
- Fall 2004-Spring 2006: Visiting Professor, Dept. of Spanish, Italian, and Portuguese, University of Virginia
- Fall 2000-Spring 2004: Assistant Professor, Department of World Languages and Cultures, Juniata College
- Fall 1999-Spring 2000: Instructor, Department of World Languages and Cultures, Juniata College
- American Association of Applied Linguistics
- American Association of Teachers of Spanish and Portuguese
- American Council on the Teaching of Foreign Languages
- Foreign Language Association of Virginia
- Modern Language Association
Elementary, Intermediate Spanish
Advanced Language Practice
Latin American Culture
Methods for Foreign Language Education
Theories of Second Language Acquisition
- Under contract: (with S. Harrington) El cine documental: Intermediate Spanish language and culture through documentary film. Focus Publishing.
- 2014: (with A. Dings) "The Undergraduate Spanish Major Curriculum: Realities and Faculty Perceptions." Foreign Language Annals, 47: 546-568.
- 2013: (with S. Harrington) Relaciónate: Comunicación avanzada. Boston: Heinle Cengage.
- 2012: Review of L2 Interactional Competence and Development. The Modern Language Journal, 96: 468-69.
- 2009: (with G. Sunderman) Student Attitudes toward Native and Non-Native Language Instructors. Foreign Language Annals, 42: 469-483.
- 2009: Review of Tesoros: Curso multimedia de español en DVD-ROM. CALICO Journal, 26(2): 439-447.
- 2008: In the Classroom: Using Intercultural Exchanges to Promote Culture and Language Learning. The Language Educator, 3 (2): 54-57.
- 2007: Review of Professional Development for Language Teachers: Strategies for Teacher Learning. The Modern Language Journal, 91: 134-35.
- 2003: Lexical and Discourse Factors in the L2 Acquisition of Spanish Word Order. Second Language Research, 19: 273-304.
- 2003: Using an E-mail Exchange to Promote Cultural Learning. Foreign Language Annals, 36: 386-96.
- 2002: An Intercultural E-mail Exchange: Student Attitudes and Perceptions. Juniata Voices. Huntingdon, PA: Juniata College Press.
- 2000: (with S. Harrington) Foreign Language Methods: Students' Belief about Language Learning and Teaching. Texas Papers in Foreign Language Education. Fall 2000.
- 2000: (with J. Zachman, & A. Wolff) Spanish for Life Worktext. Boston: Heinle and Heinle.
- 1999: (with A. T. Perez-Leroux, A. M. Scott, V. Kellar, & W. R. Glass) Sources of Knowledge in Second Language Acquisition: Spanish Subject Pronouns in Ellipsis Contexts. Spanish Applied Linguistics, 3: 33-63.