Stephanie Beckner, '90, '92 MEd
- MEd, Agency Counseling, Lynchburg College, 1992
- BA, Psychology, Lynchburg College, 1990
- AAS, General Studies, Central Virginia Community College, 1989
Experience and Background
After her graduate work at Lynchburg College, Ms. Beckner moved to Scottsboro, Alabama, and began working as a Mental Health Therapist in the area of substance abuse. Upon her return to Lynchburg, she began teaching the psychology labs at Lynchburg College. During a three-year hiatus from teaching at Lynchburg College, she served as Program Director for a transitional living facility for male substance abusers and received certification in the field of substance abuse.
In addition to teaching Introductory Psychology and Labs at Lynchburg College, she has taught Introductory Psychology and Developmental Psychology at Central Virginia Community College and Introductory Psychology and Drugs, Addiction, and Treatment at Sweet Briar College. She has been the Internship Coordinator for the Psychology Department since beginning her teaching experience at Lynchburg College.
Teaching and Research Interests
- Introductory Psychology
- Introductory Psychology Labs
- Developmental Psychology
- Drugs, Treatment, and Addiction
- Internship Coordinator
Ms. Beckner's major areas of interest are to improve the teaching experience and the internship experience for students. She is also interested in keeping current with the issues involving substance abuse.
Selected Publications and Conference Presentations
- Beckner, S. and Cylke, V. (May, 2012). Sabbatical Metamorphosis: How One Research Hungry Caterpillar Turned Into A Teaching-Focused Butterfly. Presented at Lilly Conference on College Teaching, Bethesda, Md.
- Beckner, S. and Cylke, V. (February, 2010). Creating Pop-Culture: Designing A Semester Long Magazine Project. Presented at Lilly Conference on College Teaching, Greensboro, N.C.
- Beckner, S. (1990). The History of Psychology at Lynchburg College. Lynchburg College.