Sally Selden, PhD, SPHR
Degrees and Certifications
- PhD in Public Administration, University of Georgia, December 1995
Fields: Human Resource Management, Public Administration, and Public Policy
Dissertation: "Representative Bureaucracy: Examining the Potential for Administrative Responsiveness in the Bureaucratic State" received the Leonard D. White Award for the best doctoral dissertation in the field of public administration
- Master of Public Administration, University of Virginia, 1990
- Bachelor of Arts, University of Virginia, 1989
- Professor, Syracuse University
- Professor, University of Oklahoma
- Research associate, University of Georgia
- Program evaluator, U.S. General Accounting Office
Teaching and Research Interests
- Organizational Behavior and Management
- Human Resource Management
- Nonprofit Management
Dr. Selden is currently involved in two research projects. The first, High Performance Work Systems in Nonprofit Organization, is funded by the SHRM Foundation. The second project, State Government Workforce Project, is a collaborative project with the National Association of State Personnel Executives.
Selected Publications and Conference Presentations
- Human Capital: Tools and Strategies for the Public Sector. 2009. Congressional Quarterly Press, won Best Public Sector Human Resource Management Book, The Section on Personnel Administration and Labor Relations, American Society of Public Administration.
- "An Experimental Study Comparing a Traditional Approach to Performance Appraisal Training to a 'Whole-Brain' Training Method at C.B. Fleet Laboratories." Human Resource Development Quarterly vol. 23 no. 1, 2012, pp. 9-34 (with Tom Sherrier and Rob Wooters).
- "Performance Management in Human Service Organizations: Exploring the Match between Management and Staff Perceptions." Public Personnel Management (with Jessica Sowa) vol. 40, no. 3 (Fall) 2011, pp. 251-264.
- "Assessing Content, Usability, and Innovation: An Evaluative Methodology for Government Recruiting Web Sites." Review of Public Personnel Administration (with Joe Orenstein) vol.31, no. 4 (June) 2011, pp. 209-233.
- "Structures in Public Human Resource Management: Shared Services in State Governments." Review of Public Personnel Administration vol. 31, no. 4 (December) 2011, pp. 349-368 (with Rob Wooters). Won Best Article published in Review of Public Personnel Administration in 2011.
- "Government E-Recruiting Web Sites: The influence of e-recruitment content and usability on recruiting and hiring outcomes in U.S. state governments." International Journal of Selection and Assessment (with Joe Orenstein) Vol. 19 Issue 1, (March) 2011, p. 31-40.
Honors, Awards, and Grants
- SHRM Foundation Grant ($67,045) 2012-2013
- Best Article published in the Review of Public Personnel Administration in 2011
- Best Public Sector Human Resource Management Book, The Section on Personnel Administration and Labor Relations, American Society of Public Administration, 2010
- Sydnor Professorship Award, School of Business and Economics, Lynchburg College, 2010
- Certified Senior Professional in Human Resources (SPHR), Human Resources Certification Institute (HRCI), 2009-present
- Fellow, National Academy of Public Administration, 2008-present
Dr. Selden is married with three sons who love baseball. Her interests include reading, biking, hiking, and traveling.