Maria Nathan, PhD
Degrees and Certifications
- PhD in Management and Organization
School of Business, The University of Southern California
- MA in Applied Psychology; Industrial-Organizational Psychology and Psychometrics
University of Missouri
- MA in Developmental Psychology
University of Akron (Ohio)
- BA in General Psychology
University of Akron (Ohio)
- Spanish, San Miguel de Allende, Escuela de Bellas Artes, San Miguel de Allende, Mexico, July 2003; and Lynchburg College Spanish program, 2003
- Business Spanish, Department of Spanish, Lynchburg College. Lynchburg, Va., 2004, 2006
- International Management, School of Business, the University of South Carolina, Columbia, South Carolina, Summer 1995
- Visiting Professor of Management, School of Management, Chinese University of Hong Kong, Hong Kong, S.A.R., China, 2008
- Professor of Management, Business Policy, School of Business and Economics, Lynchburg College, 2006 - present
- Associate Professor of Management, Business Policy, School of Business and Economics, Lynchburg College, 2000-2006
- Visiting Professor, School for International Relations, Ramkhamheung University, Bangkok, Thailand, 2004 - present
- Adjunct Professor, International School of Management, Paris, France, spring breaks 2005 - present
- Visiting Professor, Fachhochshule Vorarlberg, Dornbirn, Austria, 2006, 2007
- Global Policy/Strategic Management*
- International Management
- Principles of Management*
- Organizational Behavior*
- Strategic Human Resource Management*
- Organization Theory*
- Organization Development/Change
- Nonprofit Governance
- Crisis Management Theory and Practice*
- Leadership and the Classics
- Leadership and Ethics*
- Introduction to Business
- Integrated Business Principles
- Business-to-Business Marketing
- International Business Office Management
- International Business*
- Research Methods*
* Both graduate and undergraduate
Publications, Presentations, and Research
Selected Refereed Publications
- "Lighting Tomorrow with Today: Toward (Strategic) Sustainability Management," International Journal of Sustainable Strategic Management, 2010.
- "How power dynamics impact the content and process of nonprofit CEO learning," Management Learning, 2008.
- "Nonprofit CEO's: How their context impacts what, how, and why they learn," Nonprofit Management and Leadership Journal, in press.
- "Producing actionable knowledge: Applying Mezirow's theory to the managerial learning context," Best Paper Proceedings, National Academy of Management, Summer, 2004 and Management Learning Journal, in press.
- "How past remains prologue: A sense-making interpretation of the hindsight-foresight relationship,"Futures, Elsevier Science 36 (2004): 181-199.
- "No pain, yet gain: Vicarious learning from crises in an inter-organizational field," Journal of Applied Behavioral Science 38 no. 2 (2002): 245-266.
- "Team sense-making: A mental model for navigating uncharted territories," Journal of Managerial Issues14 no. 2 (2002): 198-217.
- "Mindfulness matters," Central Review of Business (Winter 2001): 27-32.
- "A role for the individual learner in achieving sustainable competitive advantage," Management Development Forum (2000): 35-52.
- "Interviews with well-practiced preachers: Perspectives on spirituality, leadership, and the workplace,"Journal of Ministry Marketing and Management 5 no. 2 (2000): 35-50.
- "The paradoxical nature of crisis," Review of Business 21 no. 3 (2000): 12-16.
- "Timing is everything: The optimal time to learn from crises," Review of Business 21 no. 3 (2000): 31-36.
- "Complex systems and sense-making teams: Conflicts, connectedness, and leadership," In Advanced Concepts in Work Teams, ed. M.M. Beyerlein, D.A. Johnson, and S.T. Beyerlein (Stamford, Connecticut: JAI Press, 2000), 219-238.
- "Crisis causation re-framed," Central Review of Business (1999): 29-35.
- "Using tough times to competitive advantage," Review of Business 19 no. 2 (1998): 4-9.
- "The nonprofit executive as chief learning officer," Nonprofit World Journal 16 no. 2 (1998): 39-41.
- "Turning threat into opportunity," International Association of Management Journal 9 no. 1 (1997): 50-55.
- "Mavericks, visionaries, protectors, and sages: Towards cognitive diversity in organizational decision making," Journal of Business Strategies 14 no. 2 (1997): 106-125.
Recent Paper Presentations and Proceedings
- "Convergence, Context, Crossvergence: Contending Perspectives on Strategic Management in Asia vs. the West," International Conference on Advances in Management, Boston, Mass., Summer 2008.
- "The Crisis Conscious Organization," International Conference for Advances in Management, Niagara Falls, Canada, Summer 2007.
- "A Goliath Meets Goliath: The Global Business Coalition and the HIV/AIDS Pandemic," International Conference on Advances in Management, Portugal, Summer 2006.
- "Fates Yoked; Pandemic Provoked: HIV/AIDS and Public Sector Collaboration," International Conference on Advances in Management, Portugal, Summer 2006.
- "The case method and its variations," International Conference on Teaching and Learning, Cocoa Beach, Fla., 2005.
- "Producing actionable knowledge: Applying Mezirow's theory to the managerial learning context," Management and Education Division, National Academy of Management, New Orleans, La., Summer, 2004.
- "Living the Liberal Arts Mission! A Cross-Disciplinary Initiative," Intellectual Leadership in the Liberal Arts, American Conference of Academic Deans and Phi Beta Kappa, Charleston, S.C., October 2003.
- Expert panel participant, "Crisis management: Where we have been and where we need to go," National Academy of Management, Seattle, Wash., 2003.
- "Management education's 'death of distance' via the service learning experience," Joint presentation to the Management Education and Social Issues in Management Divisions, National Academy of Management, Seattle, Wash., August 2003.
- "How past remains prologue: A sense-making interpretation of the hindsight-foresight relationship," International Conference at the University of Strathclyde Graduate School of Business, Glasgow, United Kingdom, July 2002.
- "No pain, yet gain: Vicarious learning from crisis in an inter-organizational field," accepted for presentation by the National Academy of Management, Washington, D.C., 2001.
- "A role for the individual learner in achieving sustainable competitive advantage," Global Management Conference, Barcelona, Spain, 2001.
- "Teaching leadership via the classics," National Academy of Management, Organizational Behavior and Management Education Development Divisions, Washington, D.C., 2001.
- "Crises and the art of learning vicariously," National Academy of Management, Chicago, Ill., 1999.
- Theoretical Foundations of Crisis Management; Inter-Organizational Crisis Management and Development; use of Crises for Organizational Transformation; Organizational Learning from Crises; Crises and Systems Thinking.
- Organizational and Trans-Organizational Learning; Individual as Learner (adult learner)
- Strategic Management and Planning - For Profit, Nonprofit/Public
- Strategic Decision Processes (Strategic Motives, Strategic Decision Making)
- Strategic Human Resource Management
- Leadership Theory and Practice
Selected Awards and Grants
- North American Management Society Conference Irwin-McGraw Hill Best Paper Award, 2011
- James A. Huston Award for Excellence in Scholarship, Lynchburg College, 2010, 2011
- Best Reviewer Award, Management Education and Development, National Academy of Management, Atlanta, Ga., 2006
- Best Reviewer Award, Management Education and Development Division, National Academy of Management: 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011
- Teaching Grant, "The Case Method and its Variations", Lynchburg College, 2005
- IBM Center for the Business of Government, Research Fellowship, Washington, D.C., 2005
- Scholar Leave Award (competitive), 'Trans-Organizational Crisis Management: A Complement of Three Organizational Studies Pertaining to the International AIDS Pandemic,'' Lynchburg College, Fall 2005
- Fulbright Senior Specialist, Crisis Management, 2005
- Best Paper Award, Management Education and Development Division, National Academy of Management, New Orleans, La., 2004
- Fulbright-Hays Fellowship, China, Summer 2004
- Best Reviewer Award, Management Education and Development Division, National Academy of Management, New Orleans, La., 2004
- Best Paper Proceedings, National Academy of Management, New Orleans, La., 2004
- Best Reviewer Award, International Management Division, National Academy of Management, Seattle, Wash., 2003
- Best Symposium Award, National Academy of Management, Management Education Division, August 2003
- Lynchburg College Summer Research Grant, 2003
- Beta Gamma Sigma Business Honor Society, 2003
- National Academy of Management Service Learning Fellow, Pew Charitable Trust, 2002-2003
- Mednick Memorial Fellowship, Virginia Federation of Independent Colleges (VFIC), 2001
- Research Grant, Lynchburg College Center for Community and Social Justice, 2002
- Sam Walton Fellowship, 2002
- Nomination, Program Chair, Public and Nonprofit Division, National Academy of Management, 2000
Professional Affiliations and Service
Editorial Review Boards
- Editorial Review Board, Review of Business
- Editorial Review Board, Society for the Advancement of Management's Advanced Management Journal
- Editorial Review Board, Risk Management: An International Journal
- Editorial Review Board, International Journal of Organizational Analysis, 2006-2009
- Editorial Review Board, International Journal of Doctoral Studies
- Editorial Review Board, Academy of Management Learning and Education
Board of Directors
- International Business Council Foundation, Lynchburg, Virginia
- CASA, Lynchburg, Virginia
- James River Council for the Arts and Humanities
- Central Virginia Nonprofit Coalition
- Vice President, International Conference on Advances in Management, 2006, 2007, 2008
- Regional Fulbright Alumni Society, elected to Secretary 2006 and 2007; president 2008-2011
- Fulbright Society's International Education Task Force
- The Asia Society
- The National Academy of Management
- The Strategic Management Society
- The Academy of International Business
- Text and Academic Authors Association
- The American Association of Museums
- The American Association of University Women
- The National Association of Female Executives
School of Business/Economics Service
- Chair, Department of Management, 2008 on, Lynchburg College
- Program Coordinator, Business Administration Program,2001-2007, Lynchburg College
- Program Coordinator, Management Program, Fall 2001 - Fall 2005, Fall 2008
- Chair, Committee on Students and Instructional Resources, Fall 2001 to present, Lynchburg College
- Chair, Operations Management Search Committee, 2004-2005
- Operations Management Search Committee, 2001-2004
- President, Lynchburg College Chapter of Beta Gamma Sigma Business Honor Society Chapter