Laura Long, PhD
- PhD, University of Houston, Creative Writing and Literature
(Specialization Exams: Fiction genre; magical realism; early American literature)
- MA, University of Texas at Austin, English/ Creative Writing
- MA, University of Texas at Austin, Anthropology/ Folklore
- BA, Oberlin College, English/ Creative Writing
- 2009 - present - Associate Professor, Lynchburg College
- May 2011-May 2013, Director, MA Program in English, Lynchburg College
- 2004-05; 2006-09 - Assistant Professor, Lynchburg College
- 2000-2004 - Assistant Professor, Dept. of Literature and Languages, Sul Ross State University, Alpine, Texas. MA and BA Programs.
- 2001-2004 - Director, Borderland Writers in the Schools, Far West Texas.
Coordinated program; trained graduate students to teach creative writing in three rural secondary schools for ten to sixteen-week residencies.
- 1995-2000 - Creative Writing Teacher, Writers in the Schools, Houston, Texas.
M.D. Anderson Cancer Center, 1997-2000; in bilingual inner-city classrooms, and at the Menil Collection, 1995-97.
- Additional teaching at University of Houston; University of Texas at Austin; St. Edward's University, Austin; Austin Community College
- Courses in: Creative Writing-fiction, poetry, and creative nonfiction; nature/ environmental writing and literature; literature courses in modern and contemporary fiction and poetry; multicultural literature; Native American literature; literature & culture; composition
- Directed 11 MA theses in creative writing and literature
Sometimes pen name: Laura Longsong
- Out of Peel Tree. Novel. West Virginia University Press/Vandalia, 2014.
- The Eye of Caroline Herschel: A Life in Poems. Chapbook. Finishing Line Press, 2013.
Select Magazine Publications
Over fifty published works including:
- Poetry in Connotation Press; Journal of Humanistic Mathematics; Calyx; Southern Review
- Creative nonfiction in Kestrel: A Journal of Literature and Art (2014)
- James Michener Fellowship for Fiction
- Donald Barthelme Fellowship for Fiction
- James River Writers Award for Best Unpublished Novel
- Pforzheimer Fellowship, Ransom Humanities Research Center, Austin, Texas
- Residency Fellowships in Poetry and Fiction, Virginia Center for Creative Arts (VCCA)
- Mednick Memorial Fellowship, Virginia Foundation for Independent Colleges
- Fellow, Seminar Institute in Literary Studies, National Humanities Center, NC
- Pushcart Prize Nominations (3) in Poetry
- Individual Artist Fellowship for Fiction, Texas Commission on the Arts
- Project Grant, Texas Commission on the Arts, for Borderland Writers in the Schools
- PEN-Texas Award for the Novel in Progress
- Artist Residencies: Hedgebrook Cottages; The U-Cross Foundation
Professional Presentations, 2007 - present
Guest Faculty, MFA Creative Writing Program, West Virginia Wesleyan
Keynote Speaker (with Yvonne Murphy), Writers in the Schools/Houston Annual Orientation
Associated Writers and Writing Programs (AWP) Annual Conference
Appalachian Studies Association (ASA) Annual Conference
College English Association (CEA) Annual Conference
International Auto/Biography Conference (IABA) Biennial Conference
Association for the Study of Literature and Environment (ASLE) Biennial Conference
South Central Modern Language Association (SCMLA) Annual Conference
Creative Writing readings at numerous locations
Association for Writers and Writing Programs (AWP); Association for the Study of Literature and Environment (ASLE); WriterHouse, Charlottesville, VA; Author's Guild