Laura Long, PhD
- PhD, University of Houston, Creative Writing and Literature, 2000
- MA, University of Texas at Austin, English/ Creative Writing
- MA, University of Texas at Austin, Cultural Anthropology/ Folklore
- BA, Oberlin College, English/ Creative Writing
- 2006 - present - Associate Professor, Lynchburg College
- 2004-05 - Assistant Professor, Lynchburg College
- 2000-2004 - Assistant Professor, Sul Ross State University, Alpine, Texas
- 2001-2004 - Director, Borderland Writers in the Schools, Alpine, Texas
- Creative Writing Teacher, M.D. Anderson Cancer Center, 1997-2000; at the Menil Collection and in inner-city classrooms, Houston, 1995-97, for Writers in the Schools (WITS)
*Additional teaching at University of Houston; University of Texas at Austin and St. Edward's University
- Seminar in Fiction
- Seminar in Poetry
- Lyrical Prose
- Creative Writing
- Teaching Creative Writing
- Independent Studies: The Visual Art of Short Fiction; Poetry and Contemporary Culture; The Bible as Literature
- Senior Seminar in English (Theme: Intersections of Art and Life)
- Creative Writing: Poetry
- Modern Poetry
- Creative Writing: Nonfiction
- Intro to Creative Writing
- Humanities Seminar in Literature (Westover Honors Program)
- Literature and Culture II
- Composition I and II
- Independent Study: Creative Writing: Lyrical Fiction
Additional courses taught at Sul Ross State U, and U. Houston: Contemporary Literature; Multicultural Literature; Native American Literature; Introduction to Drama
Sometimes pen name: Laura Longsong
Imagine a Door: Poems Cincinnati: Turning Point Books, 2009
Fiction and Poetry in Literary Magazines
Fiction: "A Postcard for Regina," Shenandoah: The Washington and Lee University Review, forthcoming. Finalist, Bevel Summers Award.
Poem: "Gloss (Caroline Herschel, 1783)," 32 Poems Magazine, forthcoming
Fiction: "Dark Early," Still: The Journal, 6, Summer 2011.
Fiction: "No Souvenirs," Clapboard House Literary Journal, 8 (Issue in Honor of Eudora Welty), Spring 2010. Chosen as a "Notable Story of 2010," by storySouth Million Writers Award.
Fiction: "Out of Peel Tree," Anthology of Appalachian Writers, Volume 2. Edited by Sylvia Shurbutt, et al. Appalachian Heritage Writers Project, Shepardstown, West Virginia, 2010.
Fiction; "What to Keep, What to Toss," Arts & Letters: Journal of Contemporary Culture, Spring 2009. Also selected to appear as a featured story online.
Fiction: "Nerve," New Orleans Review, 34.2, Spring 2009.
Additional publications in Southern Review, FICTION, Cimarron Review, and other magazines
Reviews of Fiction and Poetry
"Attuned to the River: The Safety of Deeper Water: A Novel by Tim Poland." Appalachian Heritage, Winter 2010. Republished online in Project Muse.
"Lasting Radiance: Inflorescence: Poems by Sarah Hannah." American Book Review, Nov/Dec 2008. Republished online in Britannica Online Encyclopedia
"Multiple Lives, Somewhere: Tell Borges if You See Him: Tales of Contemporary Somnambulism" by Peter LaSalle," Arts & Letters: Journal of Contemporary Culture, Spring 2008.
"A Luster and a Taint: Strange as This Weather Has Been by Ann Pancake," Appalachian Heritage, Winter 2008. Republished online in Project Muse
Essays on Writing and Teaching
"Words into Pictures: Challenges and Solutions, " in Mary Biddinger, ed., Associated Writing Programs Pedagogy Papers 2007. Fairfax: George Mason University, 2007
"Recreating the Reality of Fantasy: An Exercise at the Intersection of Fiction and Non- Fiction, " in Amy Leahy, ed., Associated Writing Programs Pedagogy Papers 2004. Fairfax: George Mason University, 2004
"I Am a Smashing Icebreaker," in Kathleen Leo, ed., Associated Writing Programs Pedagogy Papers 2002. Fairfax: George Mason University, 2002
Creative Writing Readings: over a dozen in various locations, 2009--present
Panelist, "Appalachia and Regional Writing," West Virginia Wesleyan, 2011
"Riddle and Saddle: Sustaining Fusions of Writing and Teaching." Associated Writers and Writing Programs (AWP) Annual Conference, 2011
"A Poetics of Life Writing, Interrupted: Caroline Herschel and Telling Fragments" Seventh Biennial International Auto/Biography Conference (IABA), U. Sussex, England, 2010.
Presentations at Creative Writing Pedagogy Roundtable, Associated Writers and Writing Programs (AWP) Annual Conference: 2002, 2003, 2007, 2008, 2010
"Collage Effects in Poems from Brazil: A Workshop for Writing Teachers." Writers in the Schools (WITS) Annual Orientation, Houston, 2009
"Coal and Roses: Brutality and Beauty in West Virginia." Association for the Study of Literature and Environment (ASLE) Biennial Conference. Spartanburg, S.C., 2007
"Caroline Herschel's Lives: Questions of Interpretation." Panel: "Autobiography and Biography." South Central Modern Language Association (SCMLA). Memphis, 2007
"Digression as Destination: Broken Languages and Postmodern Pilgrims in Zadie Smith's The Autograph Man." South Central Modern Language Association (SCMLA). New Orleans, 2004
"The Dynamic Nature of the Natural World in Cormac McCarthy's All the Pretty Horses." Desert Crossings: Special Symposium, Association for the Study of Literature and Environment (ASLE). Big Bend National Park, 2001
Awards and Honors
- Guest Faculty, West Virginia Wesleyan MFA Program, 2011
- Residency Fellowships, Virginia Center for Creative Arts (VCCA), 2006, 2010, 2011
- Mednick Memorial Fellowship, Virginia Foundation for Independent Colleges, 2010
- Invited Participant, Creative writing workshops with Ruth Padel (poetry) and Michelene Wandor (mixed genres), University of Sussex, England, 2010
- Invited Participant, San Miguel Poetry Week, San Miguel de Allende, Mexico, 2010
Keynote Address, "Creative Writing as Re-invention," Writers in the Schools Annual Orientation. Houston, Texas, 2009
Pforzheimer Fellowship, Harry Ransom Humanities Research Center, Austin, 2008
Seminar Institute in Literary Studies: Readings in the King James Bible. (Nationally competitive.) National Humanities Center, North Carolina, 2007
James Michener Fellowship for Fiction
Donald Barthelme Fellowship for Fiction
Individual Artist Fellowship, Texas Commission on the Arts
Artist Residencies at U-Cross Foundation and Hedgebrook Cottages
Associated Writers and Writing Programs (AWP)
Association for the Study of Literature and Environment (ASLE)
Modern Language Association (MLA)
International Auto/Biography Association (IABA)