Laura Kicklighter, PhD
Laura Kicklighter joined the faculty of Lynchburg College in Fall 2005 and holds a joint appointment in the religious studies and philosophy programs.
Professor Kicklighter graduated Cum Laude from Stetson University in DeLand, Florida in 1995 with a major in religious studies and a minor in women and gender studies. She holds a master of theological studies from Emory University's Candler School of Theology and a PhD in medical humanities from the University of Texas Medical Branch at Galveston.
Professor Kicklighter's research focuses on the role of religion in public discourse, the relationship between theology and other academic disciplines, bioethics, and religious ethics. Her dissertation, Prophetic Voices: Religion's Role in the Public Sphere examines the interplay between religion and politics and the appropriate role for religious discourse in bioethics policymaking. Her presentations at national conferences have focused on the role of religion in medical education, the influence of empirical research in bioethics scholarship, and the continued importance of public theology in American intellectual life.
In addition to her other duties, Professor Kicklighter coaches Lynchburg College's Ethics Bowl team and is a cellist in the Lynchburg College Wind Symphony.
Degrees and Certifications
- 2002: PhD, Medical Humanities, University of Texas Medical Branch
- 1997: M.T.S., Emory University
- 1995: BA, Religious Studies, Stetson University
Honors and Awards
- 2006: Outstanding Young Alumni Award, Stetson University
- 2002: Ransom Dissertation Award in the Medical Humanities, University of Texas Medical Branch
- 1995: Phi Beta Kappa, Omicron Delta Kappa, Stetson University
Publications and Presentations
- Kicklighter, L.A. "'Empirical Bioethics' and the Marginalization of the Theologian." American Academy of Religion 2007 Annual Meeting, San Diego, California, November 17-20, 2007.
- Kicklighter, L.A., "Ethical Issues and Aging." Lynchburg College Annual Conference on Aging, Lynchburg, Virginia, June 7-8 2007.
- Kicklighter, L.A., "The Retreat of the Liberal Theologian and the Future of Public Theology." Lynchburg College Turner Lecture Series, Lynchburg, Virginia, February 28, 2007.
- Kicklighter, L.A., "The Wandering Uterus: Social Construction of Disease in Women." Stetson University Garrison Lecture, DeLand, Florida, November 29, 2004.
- Kicklighter, L.A., "Religion, Spirituality, and Bioethics Affinity Group." Panel Moderator, Joint meeting of American Society for Bioethics and the Humanities and Canadian Bioethics Society, Montreal, Quebec, October 23-26, 2003.
- Kicklighter, L.A., "Liberation from the Private Sphere: Arguing for Religious Voices in National Policy." American Academy of Religion 2002 Annual Meeting, Toronto, Ontario, November 23-26, 2002.
- Kicklighter, L.A., "You Can't Say That on Capitol Hill: Analyzing the Influence of Religious Testimony Before the National Bioethics Advisory Commission." American Society for Bioethics and the Humanities 2002 Annual Meeting, Baltimore, Maryland, October 24-27, 2002.
- "Age Control." U.S. News and World Report 129 (21), November 11, 2000, p. 9.
- American Academy of Religion
- American Society for Bioethics and the Humanities
- Association for Practical and Professional Ethics