Joe Freeman, PhD
- PhD - University of Virginia, 1969
- MA - University of Virginia, 1963
- BA - Indiana University, 1961
- 1970 - present - Professor, Lynchburg College, Lynchburg, Virginia
- 1967 - 69 - Instructor, Emory University, Atlanta, Georgia
- 1964 - 66 - Instructor, Wofford College, Spartanburg, South Carolina
- 1976-1992 - City Council of Lynchburg, Virginia
- 1976-1978 - Mayor, City of Lynchburg, Virginia (elected by City Council)
- 1979 - 1981 - Member, Governor's Local Government Advisory Council
- 1981 - Chairman, State-wide A-95 Grant Review Study for U.S. Senator John Warner
- Local Government
- Experimental Approaches to Political Science
- Problems of Governance
Publications, Presentations, and Research
- Local Government in Virginia: Materials and Resources for Teachers (Charlottesville, Va.: Center for Public Service, 1993).
- "Gebser's Understanding of Political Practice," in Eric Kramer and Algis Mickunas, eds., Consciousness and Culture: An Introduction to the Thought of Jean Gebser (Westport, Ct.: Greenwood Press, 1992).
- Government is Good (Columbia, Mo.: University of Missouri Press, 1992).
- "Local Office Holders and the Public" National Civic Review, Winter 2000