David Richards, PhD
- 2007- present Assistant Professor, Department of International Relations
and Political Science, Lynchburg College, Lynchburg, Va.
- 2004 - 2007 Assistant Professor, Department of Political Science and Sociology,
Texas Lutheran University, Seguin, Texas
- 2001 - 2002 Course Instructor, School of Public Administration, American University,
Degrees and Certifications
- 2004 PhD , School of Public Administration, American University,
- Fields: Comparative Politics and American Government
- Dissertation Title: The Effect of Ethnic Diversity on Economic Growth in
Post-Colonial Africa and The Caribbean
- Dissertation Committee: Dr. William LeoGrande, Chair; Dr. Laura
Langbein; Dr. Saul Newman
- 1998 MA, American University, Washington, D.C.
Field: Political Science
- 1989 BA, Kenyon College, Gambier, Ohio
Major: Political Science
Honors and Awards
- 2005 Dissertation nominated by American University for the American
Political Science Association Gabriel A. Almond Dissertation Award
- 2003 Jefferson Gill Fellowship, School of Public Affairs, American University
- 1999-2001 Research/Teaching Assistant Awards, Political Science, American
- 1998 Distinction, Master's Comprehensive Exam, American University
Information on Courses Taught
- Introduction to Comparative Politics
- International Relations
- Research Methods
- Middle East Politics
- Latin American Politics
- Public Opinion Polling
- Cuban-American Relations and Caribbean Politics
- Elections and Polling
- American Politics One - Introduction to American Government
2007 "2007 APSA Teaching and Learning Conference Track Summaries-
Track One: Teaching Research Methods" with Mitchell Brown, Auburn
University, and Leland Coxe, Randolph-Macon Woman's College, PS:
Political Science & Politics, Vol. 40, issue 3, 2007
2002 "Congress and Foreign Policy: The Case of Cuba," with Christine
DeGregorio, in Colton C. Campbell, Nicol C. Rae, John F. Stack, Jr.,
editors, Congress and the Politics of Foreign Policy, (Prentice-Hall, 2002)
2007 Entries on Jose Figueres , Rafael Leonidas Trujillo Molina, Johannes
Gerhadus Strijdom, Marcelo Jose das Neves Caetano, Anibal Antonio
Cavaco-Silva, Mario Soares, Felipe Gonzales Marquez, Adolfo Suarez
Gonzalez, Costa Rica and Grenada in Cold War Encyclopedia, (ABC-Clio,
Works In Progress
- Journal "The Effect of Ethnic Diversity on Economic Growth in Post-Colonial
Manuscript Africa and The Caribbean"
- Journal "The Political Integration of Indo-Caribbeans in Guyana, Suriname
and Manuscript Trinidad and Tobago"
- 2008 "Factors Contributing to Ratification of Treaties for Caribbean States:
Do People of Indian Origin Influence the Process?" Southwest Political
Science Association Annual conference , March 12, Las Vegas, Nev.
- 2008 "Latin America, A Shift to the Left" American Association of University
Women Lecture Series, February 12, Lynchburg, Va.
- 2007 "Post-colonial Integration of Indo-Caribbeans in The Caribbean,"
Midwest Political Science Association Annual Conference, April 12,
- 2007 "Ethnic Group Integration into the Post Colonial State Nationalism:
Trinidad and Nigeria," Southwestern Political Science Association
Annual Meeting, February 9, Albuquerque, N.M.
- 2006 "Are the Democrats Pulling a Pombo? DINO's and Realignment in the
Democratic Party During the 2006 Mid-term Elections," Invited
Presentation, Texas Lutheran University, November 10, Seguin, Texas
- 2005 & 2006 "Teaching American Government to College Freshmen: How Do High
School AP Courses Help?" AP Government and Politics Summer
Institute, Texas Lutheran University, Seguin, Texas
- 2001 "Congress and Foreign Policy: The Case of Cuba," Conference on
Congress and Foreign Policy, Florida International University, January
14, Miami, Fla.