David Murphy, PhD, CPA, CFS
Degrees and Certifications
- PhD in Business Administration (Accounting)
Washington State University, 1989
Washington State University, 1980
- BA in Business Administration (Accounting)
Central Washington University, 1976
- Certified Public Accountant, Commonwealth of Virginia
- Certified Fraud Specialist
- Faculty, Lynchburg College
- Faculty, University of Idaho
- Faculty, Oklahoma State University
- Visiting professor, Central Washington University and the University of Wyoming
- Academic Director, US AID-funded master's degree program in governmental auditing and financial management at the Bolivian Catholic University (UBC/Harvard University)
- Chief of Party, USAID Accounting Reform Project in Uzbekistan
- Regional Training Director for Central Asia for the USAID Accounting Reform Project
- Consultant on anti-corruption and governmental auditing to the governments of Bolivia, Peru, the Philippines, and Bulgaria
- Consultant on curriculum development to universities in Central Asia, Bolivia, Peru, Chile, Mexico, and Oman
- Information systems manager and hospital controller, auditor and senior information systems consultant for an international CPA firm, five years as a self-employed CPA
- Accounting Information Systems
- Advanced Accounting
- Forensic Accounting
- Fraud and White Collar Crime
- Intermediate Financial Accounting I and II
- Managerial Accounting (MBA Program)
- "Las decisiones de los inversionistas a través del lente de la economía del comportamiento," Contabilidad y Negocios, Vol. 8, No. 15, (2013), pp. 5-14.
- "La Contabilidad y el Marketing: Encontrando un Denominador Común," Contabilidad y Negocios, Vol. 7, No. 13, (2012), pp. 5-12.
- "Higher Education Institution Factors and Technology-Mediated Distance Education Strategy Decisions," Oxford Journal 11 no. 1 (2011): 27-33.
- "Personal Financial Planning Attitudes: A Preliminary Study of Graduate Students," (with P. Umansky),Management Research Review 33 no. 8 (2010).
- "Getting in the Financial Planning Game," (with P. Umansky), Disclosures (Journal of the Virginia Society of CPAs) 23 no. 4 (2010): 8-11.
- "Fraud Investigation with Strategic Partnerships," PI Magazine (January/February 2010): 22-24.
- "The Evolution of Public Sector Financial Management in Bulgaria," International Journal of Managerial and Financial Accounting 1 no. 4 (2009): 370-378.
- "PI's and the Fight against White Collar Crime," PI Magazine (February 2008): 20-27.
- "Corruption in Government: Causes and Cures," The Specialist (January 2008): 2.
- "Global Leadership Potential in Mexican Firms," Management Research News 29 no. 3 (2006): 80-91.
- "Public Sector Corruption in Bolivia," Journal of Government Financial Management (Fall 2004): 44-52.
Honors and Awards
- Sydnor Professor for Teaching Excellence in Business Administration, 2007.
- Fulbright Fellow, Peru, 1993.
- Listed in Guide to America's Top Financial Planners, 2008 and 2009.
Professional Affiliations and Service
- Department Chair, Accounting Department, Lynchburg College 2002 - present
- Program Coordinator, Economic Crime Prevention and Investigation Program, 2008 - present
- Member of the Editorial Board of Contabilidad y Negocios (Lima, Peru)
- Member of the Editorial Board of the International Journal of Managerial and Financial Accounting
- Member, Research Committee, National White Collar Crime Center
- Member, The Institute for Financial Crime Prevention
- Member, Virginia Society of Certified Public Accountants
- Senior Fellow, University of Alabama Education Policy Center
- Member, Beta Alpha Psi
- Member, Beta Gamma Sigma
- Member, Virginia Society of CPAs
- Member, Institute for Financial Crime Prevention