Degrees and Certifications
- PhD in Economics
Iowa State University
- BS in Economics
Iowa State University
- Professor of Economics and Business, Lynchburg College
- Assistant Professor of Economics, Westminster College
- Instructor of Economics, Iowa State University
- Lecturer in Economics, Southern Illinois University-Carbondale
- International Economics
- International Business
- Money, Banking and Financial Markets
Publications and Presentations
Recent Refereed Publications
- "Economic Malaise in Japan: Changing Economic Order and the Future of the U.S.-Japan Economics Relationship," Thunderbird International Business Review 45 no. 3 (May-June 2003).
- "A Price Discrimination Hospital Profit Model," (with D.J. Leonard and J. Prinzinger), Virginia Economic Journal, 2001.
- "Role of Organizational Commitment in Advanced Manufacturing Technology and Performance Relationship," (with A. Gupta and J. Prinzinger), Integrated Manufacturing Systems 9 no. 5 (1998).Awarded the Dr. Theo Williamson Award for the outstanding paper of 1999.
- "Integrating the Study of Japan Across the Curriculum: The Lynchburg College Experience," Virginia Consortium on Asian Studies Annual Meeting, February 2003.
- "The Outlook for the World Economy and the Implications for US Business," Piedmont World Trade Conference, April 2003.
- "An Analysis of the Determinants of Spending on Education," (with J. Turek), Global Conference on Business and management, Paris, France, July 2002.
- "The Euro: The New European Currency," Forum on the Euro, Lynchburg College, Lynchburg, Virginia, February 2002.
- "The Euro: Implications of A Single Currency," Institute of Management Accountants, May 2001.
- "An Analysis of Tax Effort and Spending Levels in School Finance," (with J. Turek), Eastern Economic Association Meetings, February 2001.
- "The Short and Long Term Outlook for the U.S. Economy," Colloque Le Developement Economique American Demain Un Exemple: Lynchburg, Rueil Malmaison, France, October 2000.
- "Disparities in School Funding: A Case Study in Virginia," (with J. Turek), Virginia Association of Economists Meetings, March 2000.
- "The F-22 Advanced Tactical Fighter: A Justified Case of Sticker Shock?" (with D. Peterson), Southeast Decision Sciences Institute Meetings, February 2000. Abstract published in SEDSI Proceedings.
- "Size Based Analysis of Firms Using Advanced Manufacturing Technology Management," (with A. Gupta), Southeast Decision Science Institute Meetings, February 1998.
- "The Outlook for the Local Economy," Mason Center Economic Outlook Conference: March 1997, March 1998, September 1999, October 2000, October 2001, October 2002, October 2003.
Faculty Development Seminars
- Japan Seminar, University of Pennsylvania, 2001.
- Japan Seminar, Association of American Colleges and Universities, 1998.
- Japan Faculty Development Seminar, Lynchburg College, 1996.
- South Korea Faculty Development Seminar, Lynchburg College, 1993.
Honors and Awards
- Dr. Theo Williamson Award for Excellence, Outstanding Paper of the Year in Integrated Manufacturing Systems (with Atul Gupta and Joseph Prinzinger), 1999.
- Sydnor Professorship for Teaching Excellence in Business, 1998, 2009.
- Mednick Summer Fellowship, Virginia Foundation for Independent Colleges, Research Grant AID 211-d Research Grant, 1991.
Professional Affiliations and Service
- Member, Virginia Association of Economists
- Member, Southeast Decision Sciences Institute
- Member, American Economics Association
- Member, Southern Business Administration Association
- Member, Delta Sigma Pi
- Member, Beta Delta Sigma
- Member, Eastern Economics Association
- Program Coordinator for Economics, School of Business and Economics, Lynchburg College, 1995-2000
- Chair, Department of Economics, Lynchburg College, 1987-1993
- Director, Eisenhower Mathematics and Science Grant, 1994-1996
- Director, Lynchburg College Piedmont International Business Program
- Selection Committee, FSA Contemporary Issues Fellowship Program (IREX), US Department of State, December 2002
- Governor's Advisory Board of Economists, State of Virginia, July 2002 - present
- Innovation and Strategic Planning Committee, Region 2000 Technology Council, July 2002 - present
- Business Development Centre Board of Directors, City of Lynchburg, September 2002 - present
- Grants Review: Title VI, Part B (Business and International Education), U.S. Department of Education, December 1987, 1988, 1992, 1993, 1995, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2002
- Grants Review: Centers for International Business and Education Proposals, U.S. Department of Education, December 1998, 2001
- President, Virginia Association of Economists, 1995-1996
- Board of Directors, Virginia Association of Economists, 1989-1991, 1992-1997
- Board of Directors, Piedmont World Trade Council, 1990-1992
- President, Piedmont World Trade Council, 1992-1993, 1993-1994