Charles Walton, PhD
- PhD Sociology, Virginia Tech (1995)
- MS Sociology, Virginia Commonwealth University (1988)
- BA Social Sciences, Virginia Wesleyan College (1986)
Dr. Walton is interested in critical theory, deviance, the sociology of music, and the problem of representation with respect to race, class, and gender.
Recent Professional Activity
- Publication, 2011. "Postmodern Theory and Deviance." In C. Bryant (Ed.), Handbook of Deviant Behavior. London: Routlege.
- Publication, 2009. “Death-Related Music.” In C. Bryant & D. Peck (Eds.), Encyclopedia of Death and Human Experience. Thousands Oaks, CA.: Sage Publications.
- Publication, 2007. “Contemporary Theory.” In P. Shifflett & R. Haija (Eds.), Fundamentals of Sociology: Text and Reader. Kendall Hunt.
- Publication, 2007. “The Medicalization of Domestic Violence.” In N. Jackson (Ed.), Encyclopedia of Domestic Violence. New York and London: Routledge.
- Paper Presentation, 2010. "Don't Call What You're Wearing an Outfit: Stratification and Authenticity in Popular Music." Presented at the annual meeting of the Southern Sociological Society, April, 2010.