Lynchburg College Lexicon
LYNCHBURG COLLEGE LEXICON
Updated: June 2014
ACBSP (Accreditation Council for Business Schools and Programs): The Lynchburg College School of Business and Economics was accepted into candidacy for accreditation in June 2008. Accreditation was granted April 2009.
T. A. Abbott Award for Faculty Excellence: Given by the Christian Church (Disciples of Christ) Division of Higher Education and Leadership Ministries. Recipients have been
1986 Dr. John R. Scudder Jr.
1989 Dr. G. Kenneth West
1996 Dr. Phillip Stump
2000 Dr. Michael Santos
2005 Dr. Elza Tiner
2006 Dr. James H. Price
2011 Dr. Clifton Potter '62
Academic Advising Award: See “Thomas C. Allen Award for Excellence in Academic Advising.”
Academic Honor Societies at Lynchburg College: Organizations listed by name, discipline, and color(s) of graduation honor cords; update as of May 2010
Alpha Kappa Delta (Sociology) teal green
Alpha Psi Omega (Theatre) gold and blue
Beta Beta Beta (Biological Sciences) red and green
Chi Sigma Iota (Counseling) blue
Delta Mu Delta (Business Administration) purple and gold
Iota Sigma Pi (Women in Chemistry) green, gold, and white
Iota Tau Alpha (Athletic Training) red, blue, and yellow
Kappa Delta Pi (Education) purple and green
Lambda Pi Eta (Communication) red and white
Omicron Delta Epsilon (Economics)
Phi Alpha Theta (History) Madonna red and blue
Phi Epsilon Kappa (Health and Physical Education, Health Promotion, Exercise Science/Physiology, Sports Medicine, Recreation and Sport Management) black and gold
Phi Eta Sigma (Freshman Honor Society) black/gold medallions
Phi Kappa Phi, The National Honor Society of (see listing under “P”)
Phi Sigma Iota (Modern Language) purple and white
Phi Sigma Tau (Philosophy) purple and white
Pi Mu Epsilon (Mathematics) violet and gold
Pi Sigma Alpha (Political Science) red neck ribbon with bronze medallion
Psi Chi (Psychology) gold with blue and gold tassel
Sigma Beta Delta (Business Management and Administration) green and gold
Sigma Iota Rho (International Relations) gold
Sigma Phi Omega (Gerontology) blue and gold
Sigma Tau Delta (English) black and red
Sigma Theta Tau (Nursing) light purple and white
Theta Alpha Kappa (Religious Studies) scarlet
Accreditation: Lynchburg College is accredited/approved by the Commission on Colleges of the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools (SACSCOC), the State Department of Education of Virginia for Teacher Certification, Virginia State Board of Nursing, Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education, Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education Programs (CAAHEP) (athletic training major), the Council for Accreditation of Counseling and Related Education Programs (CACREP), Commission on Accreditation of Athletic Training Education (CAATE), North American Society for Sport Management, and Association of College Business Schools and Programs (ACBSP).
Appropriate wording for SACSCOC accreditation: Lynchburg College is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges to award baccalaureate, master’s, and doctoral degrees. Questions about the accreditation of Lynchburg College should be directed to the Commission on Colleges at 1866 Southern Lane, Decatur, Georgia 30033-4097, 404.679.4500, or by going to http://www.sacscoc.org. All other inquiries about the College should be directed to Lynchburg College, 1501 Lakeside Drive, Lynchburg, Virginia 24501-3133 or 434.544.8100, not the Commission. (last sentence added January 31, 2012 per request by SACSCOC; url added 11/1/12.)
Approval of doctoral-level degrees: As of December 8, 2009, the College was approved by SACSCOC to offer up to three doctorate programs.
Accreditation statement for Doctor of Physical Therapy:
The Doctor of Physical Therapy Program at Lynchburg College is accredited by the Commission on Accreditation in Physical Therapy Education (CAPTE), 1111 North Fairfax Street, Alexandria, Virginia 22314; telephone: 703-684-2782; email: firstname.lastname@example.org. Information related to CAPTE can be found at the American Physical Therapy Associations website site www.apta.org .
Accreditation by Discipline: According to SACSCOC guidelines, the following information should be used when promoting academic programs for the disciplines concerned:
Teacher Education Program:
Approved - Virginia Department of Education
P.O. Box 2120, Richmond, VA 23218
Approved – Virginia Board of Nursing
9960 Maryland Drive, Suite 300, Henrico, VA 23233-1463
Accredited – Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education
One Dupont Circle, NW Suite 530, Washington, DC 20036
Exercise Physiology Program:
Accredited – Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education Programs (CAAHEP)
1361 Park Street, Clearwater, FL 33756
Athletic Training Program:
Accredited – Commission on Accreditation of Athletic Training Education (CAATE)
2201 Double Creek Drive, Suite 5006, Round Rock, TX 78664
Approved - North American Society for Sport Management
135 Winterwood Drive, Butler, PA 16001
School of Business and Economics:
Accredited – Association of Collegiate Business Schools and Programs (ACBSP)
11520 West 119th Street, Overland Park, KS 66213
Graduate Counseling Programs:
Accredited – Council for Accreditation of Counseling & Related Educational Programs (CACREP)
1001 North Fairfax Street, Suite 510, Alexandria, VA 22314
Thomas C. Allen Award for Excellence in Academic Advising
This award, first given in 2002, was named the Lynchburg College Award for Excellence in Academic Advising. In 2007, the award was renamed to honor the memory of Professor Thomas C. Allen, English faculty member and chair and John M. Turner Distinguished Professor in the Humanities (1999-02), who died unexpectedly in October 2006.
2002 Dr. Harvey D. Huiner
2003 Dr. Terese Hartman
2004 Dr. Clifton Potter Jr. '62
2005 Mr. Thomas C. Allen
2006 Dr. Priscilla J. Gannicott
2007 Dr. David Perault
2008 Mr. Richard Pumphrey '74
2009 Dr. James Price
2010 Dr. Virginia Cylke
2011 Dr. David Freier
2012 Dr. Deanna Cash
2013 Dr. Robin Bates
2014 Dr. Sabita Manian
Alma Mater: See “Lynchburg College Hymn.”
M. Carey Brewer Alumni Award: Established in 1983 to recognize alumni who have made outstanding contributions to one area of society, which include but are not limited to the areas of profession, civic, religious life, or service to alma mater; named for Dr. Carey Brewer '49, ’85 LL.D., seventh and youngest president of Lynchburg College (tenure 1964-1983).
Distinguished Alumni Award: Established in 1985 by the LC Alumni Association to recognize alumni who have distinguished themselves with outstanding achievement in professional life, academic life, in service to LC, or in personal life.
T. Gibson Hobbs Memorial Award: Established in 1948 to recognize a limited number of alumni who have made significant contributions to their churches, communities, and their alma mater; named for Thomas Gibson Hobbs '04.
Honorary Alumni Award: Established in 1985 by the LC Alumni Association to recognize non-alumni for their exceptional interest, dedication, and/or service to LC.
Sports Hall of Fame Award: Established in 1978 to recognize alumni who brought credit to Lynchburg College through athletic achievements while they were students or achievements in athletics following their years at Lynchburg College. Nominees must have been full-time students at LC at least two years and have lettered in at least one varsity sport. Ten years must elapse before a person can be nominated. At the discretion of the selection committee, another award, “Special Citation in Sports” is also given to honor individuals who have substantially enhanced the athletic program at Lynchburg College.
Alumni House: Completed in 1985 and dedicated April 19, 1986. Facility was made possible by generous gifts from H. Dennis Moore ’42, Reginald M. Wood ’32, and Ralph B. Shank ’27 and gifts from alumni; houses Enrollment, Financial Aid, and Office of Alumni Programs.
Astronomical Observatory: See “Belk Observatory.”
Ballroom: See “Memorial Ballroom.”
Beard Center on Aging at Lynchburg College: (originally the “Belle Boone Beard Gerontology Center”), Dr. Rose Jensen was the Center’s first director (1998-2007); offices moved to The Summit — a retirement community built by the Christian Church (Disciples of Christ) — located at 1400 Enterprise Drive, Lynchburg, Va., in June 2005. The Center became part of the School of Humanities and Social Sciences in 2004, and the Center’s office moved back to campus in January 2008. Denise Scruggs was named director in July 2007, and the name changed again to the “Lynchburg College Beard Center on Aging.”
Beaver Point Clubhouse: Completed in 1990 and made possible by gifts from the Class of 1990 and College funds.
Belk Observatory: Located at Claytor Nature Study Center and named in honor of North Carolina state Senator Irwin Belk ’06 LL.D., the observatory is a 960-square-foot complex equipped with six 8-inch Schmidt-Cassegrain telescopes, an observation deck for using astronomical binoculars and solar telescopes, and an observatory control room with instrumentation to allow for astronomical research in conjunction with other regional colleges and universities. The dome, made possible through a gift from Marvin ’70 and Sandy Fong of Honolulu, has the same research-quality Truss Ritchey-Chretien telescope whose optical design was also used in the Hubble Space Telescope. The LC telescope was named in memory of Margaret Gilbert, great-grandmother of LC chemistry professor and astronomy enthusiast Dr. Neal Sumerlin (retired 2012), who came up with the idea of an observatory at the Center. Senator Belk’s gift included a bronze sculpture “Fairy of the Eagle Nebula,” sculpted by John Hair and placed near the observatory.
Bell Tower: See “Victory Bell Tower.”
Bickham Award: Evelyn P. Bickham Outstanding Undergraduate Alumni Award (for an alumnus/a of the undergraduate program in education), established in 1994 as the School of Education and Human Development Outstanding Alumni Award and renamed the Bickham award in May 1996.
Bock Award: Elsie Ervin Bock Award for Excellence in Citizenship, established in 1993 and known as the Lynchburg College Award for Excellence in Citizenship until May 1996 when it was named for English professor, Ms. Elsie Ervin Bock (who died in March 1996). The award is given for outstanding service to the College and surrounding community.
1993 Ms. Elsie Bock
1994 Dr. Thomas Looney
1995 Dr. Julius Sigler '62
1996 Dr. Tom Tiller '56
1997 Dr. Thomas Seaman '63
1998 Dr. Barry Lobb
1999 Dr. Glenn Buck
2000 No selection
2001 Dr. Richard Burke
2002 Dr. Clifton W. Potter Jr. '62
2003 Dr. Lesley Friedman
2004 Dr. Ken West
2005 Dr. Conny Roussos
2006 Dr. Heywood L. “Woody” Greenberg
2007 Dr. Joseph Turek
2008 Dr. Neal Sumerlin
2009 Dr. Peggy Pittas
2010 Ms. Nina Salmon ’93 M.Ed.
2011 Dr. Todd Olsen
2012 Dr. Kevin Peterson
2013 Dr. Ashley Thompson
2014 Dr. Jeanne Booth
Bonner Leader Program: Lynchburg College was notified by the Bonner Foundation in February 2004 that the College had won a grant for a Bonner Leader Program initiative. The program was implemented in fall 2004 with the recruitment goal of ten students. The Foundation is noted nationwide for advancing the causes of community service, service learning, and community-based research in areas as diverse as the inner city and the Appalachian Mountains. The mission of the Bonner Leader Program is to “transform the lives of students and members, the life of their campuses, their local communities, and the world through service and leadership.” Lisa Whitaker, associate director of the Center for Community Development and Social Justice, was named the Program’s first director in 2004.
Brewer House: One of the first three townhouses constructed on campus in 2003 and dedicated on September 26, 2003 in honor of Dr. M. Carey Brewer ’49, ’85 LLD, seventh president of Lynchburg College from 1964-1983.
Bullard House: Townhouse named and dedicated in fall 2004 in memory of the Rev. Frank Fontaine Bullard, 1857-1909, pastor of First Christian Church (Disciples of Christ) in Lynchburg, Virginia, who was instrumental in bringing Dr. Josephus Hopwood to Lynchburg to interest him in establishing a Disciples’ college. He was also one of the original donors whose gift helped to purchase the Westover Hotel, the first building of the College. He was named the first chair of Virginia Christian College (named Lynchburg College in 1919) Board of Trustees. He was buried, at his request, on the campus near what is now Wake Field House. His remains were moved in 1923 to Spring Hill Cemetery (Lynchburg) and were buried next to those of his wife, Jennie Wilson Bullard.
(Former) Burton Student Center: The Percy N. Burton Student Center, completed in 1968 and named for College benefactor and former trustee, 1956-1973, was renovated and expanded in 2014 and renamed the Drysdale Student Center. The College continues to honor Percy and his wife with the Percy Burton Dining Hall and the Gertrude Burton Dining Room.
LC Graduate Health Sciences Building: See “DPT Building.”
Carnegie Hall: Completed in 1909 with assistance from Andrew Carnegie and named in his honor; in 1985, the George W. Veale IV Computer Center, located on the terrace level, was dedicated.
Centennial Hall: See “Schewel Hall.”
Center for Community Development and Social Justice: (originally named the Center for Community Development and Leadership), Dr. Tom Seaman '63, director (1998-02); Dr. Ed Polloway, director (2002-08). The Center was assigned to the School of Humanities and Social Sciences on July 1, 2008.
Center for Economic Education: Established in September 2000, the Center was placed under the auspices of the Mason Center. In 2003 Cheryl Ayers became the Center’s first director, and in fall 2004, the Center separated from the Mason Center and became part of the School of Business and Economics.
Center for Environmental Education: See “Claytor Nature Study Center.”
Center for Family Studies: Originally named Center for Family Education, Dr. Ken West, director, the Center became part of the School of Education and Human Development in 2004.
Center for the History and Culture of Central Virginia, The: See “Virginia History Research Center.”
Centers of Distinction: See “Centers of Lynchburg College.”
Centers of Lynchburg College: Original five centers were known as the “Centers of Distinction” and were established under the leadership of LC president Dr. Charles Warren in 1998. The centers are “devoted to interdisciplinary learning and community service with a special focus on Central Virginia.” The Mason Center came under the Centers approximately 2001. The Donovan Media Development Center, made possible in part by a grant from the Donovan Foundation, was established and became one of the centers in 2004. The centers reported to the vice president for graduate studies and community advancement. The name for the centers was changed to “The Centers of Lynchburg College” in 2003.
In fall 2004 the centers began to be integrated into their appropriate academic Schools within the College, a process completed in fall 2008. For information about the specific centers, see the following: “Beard Center on Aging,” “Center for Community Development and Social Justice,” “Center for Economic Education,” “Center for Family Studies,” “Claytor Nature Study Center,” “The Donovan Media Development Center,” “Walter G. Mason Center for Business Development,” and “Virginia History Research Center.”
Chaplain of the College: Allen B. Stanger '33 was appointed director of religious activities in 1949 and served in that capacity until the late 1960s. There is no record of a director of religious activities or chaplain prior to 1949. Religious services and activities have been held, and a variety of religious organizations have met since the College’s beginnings in 1903 to the present.
1968-70 Rev. Dr. Newton B. Fowler Jr. ’54
1971-74 Rev. Dr. Allen B. Stanger '33
1974-75 Rev. Dr. Earl M. Caudill '65
1976-86 Rev. Dr. Jan G. Linn
1986-92 Rev. Dr. David N. Felty
1992-97 Rev. Dr. C. Rex Mix
1998 Ms. Anne Gibbons, interim chaplain
1998 Rev. Grant Azdell ’89; Anne Gibbons, Assoc. Chaplain
2008 Rev. Dr. D. L. “Pete” Warren (acting, 8/1/08)
2009 Rev. Stephanie McLemore (June 2009 - )
Christian Church (Disciples of Christ): These five words and the parentheses as shown constitute the proper name of this Protestant denomination with which Lynchburg College is affiliated (since its founding in 1903). In promotional materials and the College profile (which appears on the back of many LC program brochures and in numerous other general publications) the following statement is used:
The College (or “Lynchburg College”) is affiliated with the Christian Church (Disciples of Christ), a denomination with a tradition of welcoming persons of all faiths and denominations.
Claytor Education and Research Facility: Completed in 2003 and dedicated on October 10, 2003; named in honor of A. Boyd Claytor III. Facility is 7,700 square feet and overlooks the Big Otter River. To avoid confusion, one should know that the A. Boyd Claytor III Education and Research Facility is located within the Claytor Nature Study Center, both named in honor of the donor of the property and original farm house.
Claytor Nature Study Center: The 470-acre farm and farm house, located in Bedford County, Va., one-half hour drive west of campus, was donated by A. Boyd Claytor III in fall 1998.The facility originally fell under the auspices of the Center for Environmental Education (CEE), one of the Lynchburg College five original Centers of Distinction (changed to “The Centers of Lynchburg College” in 2003). In 2003, however, the functions of the Center for Environmental Education fell under the auspices of the Claytor Nature Study Center, directed by Dr. Jeffrey Corney, and the CEE ceased to exist. The Husted Pavilion (see “Husted Pavilion”) at the facility was dedicated in October 2001. The “A. Boyd Claytor III Education and Research Facility” (see “Claytor Education and Research Facility”) was dedicated in October 2003. The Center became part of the School of Sciences in 2004. The Virginia Arnold Claytor Memorial Gardens, named in memory of the benefactor’s wife, were dedicated October 6, 2006. The Belk (astronomical) Observatory was dedicated October 20, 2007. A bronze sculpture, “Fairy of the Eagle Nebula,” sculpted by John Hair and given by Senator Belk was placed near the observatory. The McGhee Bridge, connecting the educational classroom/lab facility to the farm house, was dedicated on October 23, 2010. Groundbreaking for the Eco-Village was held on October 18, 2011. A bronze memorial portrait bust of A. Boyd Claytor III was also unveiled and dedicated on this date. The bust was given by Sakina Claytor, widow, and was sculpted by LC Professor Richard Pumphrey ’74.
College Hymn: See “Lynchburg College Hymn.”
College Marshal: The senior faculty member of the institution. He/she carries the College mace, a symbol of authority and indication that the activity is an official function of the College. Thus, the College marshal is in charge of official ceremonies.
Community Service Award: See “Bock Award.”
Crews and Reynolds Courts: Completed in 1964 and named for Floyd L. Crews (a trustee appointed in 1937, a 1922 graduate, and an LC benefactor) and C. B. Reynolds (minister of First Christian Church, adviser to President Montgomery, and field secretary of the Christian Church (Disciples of Christ).
Daura Art Gallery: Completed in 1990; 4,000-square-foot addition completed in 1995; named in honor of Catalan artist Pierre Daura and his wife, Louise; made possible by a generous gift from their daughter, Martha Daura. Renovations of the gallery were started and completed summer 2010.
Dillard Fine Arts Center The building was completed in 1974 and named in honor of David Hugh Dillard, Lynchburg industrialist and chair of the LC National Advisory Council. Plaque copy: Dillard fine Arts Center/Named in honor of David Hugh Dillard and Rosa van Gelder Dillard, Lynchburg College benefactors/Erected 1974
Donaldson Brown Professor of Marketing: Established in 1981 by an endowment gift from Keene C. Brown, a former LC trustee, in honor of his father, Donaldson Brown, an outstanding American industrialist.
East Chair: the John Franklin East Distinguished Professor of Humanities, established in 1977 by Mrs. Margaret East Nelson in memory of her father. In summer 2011 the length of appointment was changed from three to five years.
Forsyth Chair: the Elizabeth M. Forsyth Professor in Education and Human Development, established in 1999 to support involvement of a College faculty member with Elizabeth’s Early Learning Center; named in honor of Mrs. Forsyth, a founder of the center.
Owen Chair: the Geraldine Lyon Owen Professor of English, established by Mrs. Owen, a 1927 graduate of LC in memory of her family and in recognition of the Hundley family’s contribution to the College.
Schewel Chair: the Rosel H. Schewel Distinguished Professorship in Education and Human Development, established in 2002 by Michael J. Schewel and members of the Schewel and Hoffberger families to honor the contributions of Rosel Hoffberger Schewel '71 MEd, '83 EdS, '00 DEd (honorary, awarded by Lynchburg College), who served as chair of the LC Board of Trustees and is professor emerita of education and human development at the College.
Turner Chair: the John Mills Turner Distinguished Chair in the Humanities, established in 1995 and named for Dr. John M. Turner '29, professor of English and dean emeritus of the College who was an inspiration and mentor for thousands of students at Lynchburg College during his forty-one years of service. When it was established, appointments were three years. In summer 2011, the appointment length was changed to five years.
Dr. Phillip Stump, professor of history, first chair (1996-99)
Professor Thomas Allen, associate professor of English, (1999-02)
Dr. Clifton Potter Jr. '62, professor of history, (2002-05)
Dr. Elza Tiner, professor of English (2005-08)
Dr. Tom Brickhouse, professor of philosophy (2008-11)
Dr. Lesley Friedman (2011-16)
Doctor of Ministry Program (D. Min.): First offered at Lynchburg College through a partnership with Lexington Theological Seminary (LTS), Christian Church (Disciples of Christ), Lexington, Ky. The partnership resulted from a Higher Education and Leadership Ministries (HELM) division (of the Christian Church (Disciples of Christ) study grant and was supported in part by a program grant from the E. Rhodes and Leona B. Carpenter Foundation. Approximately twenty pastors from all denominations in Central Virginia began the program in June 2006. All courses were taught by LTS faculty. A second cohort was planned but not carried out (as of 7/1/10)
Doctor of Physical Therapy (DPT): See “DPT Building” and “Graduate Studies.”
Donovan Media Development Center: Dr. Woody Greenberg, director. This Center, established in 2004 and made possible in part by a grant from the Donovan Foundation, focuses on the development of electronic and print media. Students, faculty, and staff help nonprofit organizations and campus-based organizations engaged in community outreach to create print and electronic media to document, explain, and promote their activities. The Center also produces television programs to help organizations publicize activities. Upon the Center’s opening it became affiliated with the School of Communication and the Arts.
DPT Building, 300 Monticello Ave, Ste. A, approximately two blocks from the College, across from the Laurel Program (formerly Kizer Elementary School). Building was leased to LC for three years (2010) with option to buy; renovated in summer 2010. It features 37,000 square feet of state-of-the-art space for classrooms, a skills laboratory, a dissection laboratory, a research laboratory, faculty offices and lounge, a student lounge, and a student library (known originally as the Capps Shoe Factory and Outlet). Appropriate name as of fall 2010 is “LC Graduate Health Sciences Building.”
Drysdale Student Center: Named for Douglas Drysdale, a member of the Lynchburg College Board of Trustees, and his wife Elaine Hadden Drysdale, who pledged $3 million toward the Student Center expansion and renovation. The 72,000-square-foot facility opened in August 2014 and features: a welcome center, a fitness center, meeting rooms, multicultural center, a Commons space, veterans’ lounge, dance and aerobics space, a game room, and additional venues for dining.
East Chair: See “Distinguished Chairs.”
Forsyth Chair: See “Distinguished Chairs.”
Freer Hall: Completed in 1963 and named for Dr. Ruskin Skidmore Freer, LC botany/biology professor from 1924 to 1964 and a founding member and first president of the Virginia Society of Ornithology. Also see “Herbarium.” Building plaque copy: Freer Hall/Named in honor of Ruskin S. Freer, professor of biology at Lynchburg College, 1924-1964/Erected 1963
Fulbright Recipients: Three Lynchburg College Fulbright professors joined those from other colleges and universities to form the Blue Ridge Chapter of the Fulbright Association (organizational meeting April 2, 2002). The Blue Ridge Chapter is among thirty-eight Fulbright Association chapters across the country that focus attention on the importance of international understanding among the public at large and to foster and support Fulbright exchanges. Complete list of LC faculty Fulbright recipients are: Bill Goodman (University of Edinburgh 1958-59); Clifton Potter Jr. ’62 (Oxford University 1966-67); Robert White (France 1963-1964 and 1973); Janice Rice (Egypt 1993, China 2004); Scott Pike (Greece 1993); Jeff Burke (Jordan 1995); Maria Nathan (China 2004); Conny Roussos (Cambodia 2004, India 2007); and Randy Ribler (Vietnam 2006).
Gifford Lecture Series/Endowment: Richard P. Gifford Lecture Series or Richard P. Gifford Endowment, established in memory of Richard Gifford, vice president of General Electric, active supporter of Lynchburg College, and former chairman of the Board of Trustees. Lectures are named as follows: The Richard P. Gifford Lecture in Business, The Richard P. Gifford Lecture in the Business Environment, The Richard P. Gifford Lecture in Business Entrepreneurship, and the Richard P. Gifford Lecture in Leadership.
Graduate Studies: Below are all master’s degrees offered by Lynchburg College. In addition, the College has offered numerous concentrations and certificates, but these are not included in this list.
Master of Education (MEd) 1964-present
Master of Business Administration (MBA) 1966-present
Master of Science (MS) (in applied physics) 1964-1988
Master of Arts in Teaching (MAT) 1968-1975
Master of Education Specialist (EdS) 1979-1985
Master of Accountancy (MAc) 1995-1997
Master of Administration (MAd) 1977-1995
Master of Arts (MA)
Master of Science in Nursing (MSN) 2009-present
Doctor of Physical Therapy (DPT): Fall 2010-present
Doctor of Education (EdD) Fall 2011-present
RN to MSN Pathway: Fall 2012
Physician Assistant Medicine program (PA): Planned for Summer 2015 (considered a master’s degree)
Lynchburg College has applied for provisional accreditation from the Accreditation Review Commission on Education for the Physician Assistant (ARC-PA). The College anticipates matriculating its first class in June 2015, pending provisional accreditation in March 2015. Provisional accreditation is an accreditation status for a new PA program that has not yet enrolled students, but at the time of its comprehensive accreditation review, has demonstrated its preparedness to initiate a program in accordance with the accreditation standards. The program will not commence in the event that this provisional accreditation is not received. The program offering is contingent upon the approval of the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC).
Graduation Promise: Beginning in 2000, graduating seniors have been given the opportunity to sign the following pledge prior to their commencement date: “I pledge to explore and take into account the social and environmental consequences of any job I consider and will try to improve these aspects in any organization for which I work. I shall always carry the Lynchburg College Code of Honor with me.”
Hall Campus Center (formerly Memorial Gymnasium, given by the citizens of Lynchburg as a World War I memorial, completed and dedicated in 1923; renovated in 1980; renovated again in 2000 to cover the swimming pool to create classrooms and faculty offices for communication studies); renovated in summer 2005 to accommodate numerous student services and the development office; proper name of ballroom is Memorial Ballroom.
Herbarium: The Gwynn Ramsey-Ruskin Freer Herbarium at Lynchburg College was dedicated April 17, 1999 in memory of Dr. Ruskin S. Freer, LC professor emeritus of botany and biology, and in honor of Dr. Gwynn W. Ramsey, LC professor of biology from 1965-97. The facility was established in 1927 by Dr. Freer, who served as its curator until his retirement in 1964. Dr. Ramsey was appointed curator in 1967. The herbarium includes 64,000 specimens and, as of 2011 (or perhaps earlier), was the second largest collection in the state and largest housed at a private institution of higher learning in Virginia. The herbarium was moved to Claytor Nature Study Center in 2006.
Hill Award (Economics): The Robert L. Hill Award in Economics, established in 1988 by Ann R. Hill in memory of her husband who served LC as professor and chair of economics from 1965-1984; awarded to an outstanding senior who majored in economics, demonstrated outstanding academic achievement, and exhibited involvement in campus and/or community life.
Hill Award (Outstanding Senior): The Robert L. Hill Distinguished Senior Award, established in 1989 in memory of Dr. Hill (see above); presented annually to a senior who has excelled in academics, ranked in the top 2 percent of the graduating class, pursued a challenging and rigorous curriculum, and exhibited involvement in campus and community activities.
Historic Sandusky-Lynchburg College Partnership: Signed December 12, 2011, by Historic Sandusky Foundation president Dr. Bland Massie Jr. president of the College Dr. Kenneth R. Garren to support the preservation and interpretation of Historic Sandusky as a public history museum and provide a learning center and museum career environment for Lynchburg College students (especially for those interested in history and museum studies). Operation of Historic Sandusky will progressively move to Lynchburg College.
Hobbs Hall: Completed in 1959 and named for T. Gibson Hobbs '04; renovated in 1995; laboratory wing for chemistry and biology added in 1993. Building plaque copy: Thomas Gibson Hobbs Memorial Hall/Named in honor of T. Gibson Hobbs ’04, member of the Board of Trustees, 1915-1942/Erected 1958/Renovated 1995/ Laboratory wing 1993.
Sarah Hopwood Award: Given periodically by the Lynchburg College Women's Club to an outstanding female staff or faculty member, in honor of Sarah LaRue Hopwood, wife of founder Josephus Hopwood.
Hopwood Hall: Completed in 1909 with assistance from industrialist and philanthropist Andrew Carnegie; named for college founder Dr. Josephus Hopwood.
Hornet: Mascot of the College’s varsity teams. Athletic activities were intramural in nature from 1903 until spring 1907, when the first intercollegiate team (baseball) was organized. The first teams were known as the “Fighting Parsons.” The Hornet was named the mascot in 1919, and the mascot was named “Elsie” in 1997. Because numerous graphic versions of the mascot were used on campus over the years, a new official design was adopted summer 1999 with the input of faculty, staff, and students. Use of previous versions was strongly discouraged and eventually, only the approved design was used. According to Vice President and Dean of the College Dr. Julius Sigler ’62,who visited alumnus Dr. Al Marshall ’21 and his wife Vivian ’25, Al said that he had suggested the Hornet nickname during his first year at LC and that he had implemented it through articles in the student paper. He chose Hornet because Hopwood was already infested with them and because Wasps and Yellow Jackets had already been taken. Dean Sigler had no reason to doubt his story.
Hornet Sculpture: Also known as the “Fighting Hornet,” this bronze sculpture was a gift from North Carolina state Senator Irwin Belk ’06 LL.D. and sculpted by John Hair. The sculpture and newly renovated Shellenberger Field were dedicated on April 21, 2007.
Hundley Hall: Completed in 1954 and named for Dr. J. T. T. Hundley ’19, ’53 LLD, president of Lynchburg College from 1915-1936. Building plaque copy: Hundley Hall/Named in honor of J.T.T. Hundley, fourth president of Lynchburg College, 1915-1936, and his wife, Sue Walker Hundley/Erected 1953/Dedication 1954
Humanities Chair: See “Turner Chair.”
Husted Pavilion: Located at Claytor Nature Study Center, the facility was made possible by a gift from Dr. Stewart Husted (former dean and faculty member of the School of Business and Economics) and his wife, Ms. Kathleen L. Husted, assistant professor of education and human development. Named in memory of Dr. Husted’s parents, Dr. John E. Husted (1915-1999) and Kathryn S. Husted (1919-2000), the facility was dedicated on October 18, 2001. Bronze plaque copy: John E. and Kathryn S. Husted Pavilion.
Huston Award: James A. Huston Award for Excellence in Scholarship: This annual award, established in 1964, for professional scholarship is given in honor of the career of Dr. James Huston, professor emeritus of history who served as dean of the College from 1972 to 1984. The award was named in his honor in 1979 and is given annually to a faculty member selected by peers who is deemed to have made the most significant contributions to his or her discipline.
1964 Dr. Ruskin S. Freer
1971 Ms. Madeline D. Ingram
1974 Dr. John M. Turner Jr. '29
1976 Dr. Harold H. Garretson
1977 Mr. Sheldon Vanauken
1979 Dr. Wayne C. Thompson
1980 Dr. John David Smith
1982 Dr. Kamal M. Abouzeid
1983 Mr. Samuel J. R. Gamble
1983 Dr. James E. Carico
1984 Dr. Thomas C. Brickhouse
1984 Dr. James A. Huston
1985 Dr. Dora Jean Ashe
1985 Dr. Edward A. Polloway
1986 Dr. Thomas A. Looney
1986 Dr. John R. Scudder Jr.
1987 Dr. Albert J. E. Wilson
1988 Dr. Anne Marshall Huston
1988 Dr. Gwynn W. Ramsey
1989 Dr. John David Smith
1990 Dr. Thomas C. Brickhouse
1991 Dr. G. Kenneth West
1992 Dr. Anne H. Bishop
1993 Dr. Edward A. Polloway
1994 Dr. Stewart W. Husted
1995 Dr. Phillip H. Stump
1996 Mr. Richard G. Pumphrey '74
1997 Dr. Daniel G. Lang
1998 Dr. Gustavo Fares
1998 Dr. Cheryl Ruth Jorgensen-Earp
1999 Dr. Thomas C. Brickhouse
2000 Dr. Karen S. McElmurray
2001 Dr. Patty Hale
2002 Dr. Keith Corodimas
2003 Dr. Atul Gupta
2004 Dr. Sally Selden
2005 Dr. Allison Jablonski
2006 Dr. Casey Clabough II
2007 Dr. Robert Harding
2008 Dr. George Miaoulis Jr.
2009 Dr. Eric Goff
2010 Dr. Maria Nathan
2011 Dr. Norton Scott Amos
2012 Dr. Elza Tiner
2013 Dr. Nichole Sanders
2014 Dr. John Eric Goff
Huston House: Townhouse named and dedicated in 2004 in honor of Dr. James A. Huston, former dean of the College and professor emeritus of history. See also “Huston Award” above.
Knight-Capron Library: (formerly known as Knight Memorial Library) made possible in part by a generous gift from benefactor Floyd L. Knight and completed in 1954; Capron addition completed in 1969 and named for John D. Capron, chair of the Board of Trustees investment committee); renovation 2005 included the addition of an indoor walkway connection to Schewel Hall. Building plaque copy: Knight Capron Library/Originally named The Floyd L. Knight Memorial Library in honor of Floyd L. Knight, Lynchburg College benefactor/Erected 1954/Renamed Knight-Capron Library following 1969 expansion in honor of John D. Capron, member of the Board of Trustees, 1947-1970, and his wife, Marcia Saxton Capron, Lynchburg College benefactors
Lynchburg College Hymn: Written by Paul E. Waters ’48, a music major at LC. Paul earned a master of music at Northwestern University (1950) and subsequently served as minister of music at Court Street Methodist Church (Rockford, Ill.) He was a noted organ recitalist and published several anthems. The words to the hymn are “Hail, Alma Mater, Lynchburg to thee! / Strong are the principles which founded thee, / They are the beacon, guiding us free! / Light that can never fail us. Hail! Hail! To thee.” In May 2012, the following credit was added at the request of the Music Department: “Arranged by R. Anderson Poindexter."
Lynchburg College Symposium Readings (LCSR) Program: LC faculty approved a pilot LCSR program in fall 1989, funded by a grant from the Fund for Improvement of Post-Secondary Education. LC was one of seventy-five colleges/universities (from a pool of 1,900) to receive the grant. The program was integrated as a component of the General Education curriculum in 1991. An LCSR course was defined as a “regular Lynchburg College two-, three-, or four-hour course that includes a significant body of both writing and oral communication activities based on reading selections from the Lynchburg College Symposium Readings: Classical Selections on Great Issues. The writing and speaking activities were to constitute the basis for at least 20 percent of the course grade. The first LCSR director was Dr. Mike Santos.
Mace (The College): The staff carried at the front of the academic procession is called the mace, a symbol of authority and indication that the activity is an official function of Lynchburg College. The senior faculty member is the bearer of the mace and is responsible for the entire official ceremony. The Lynchburg College mace is a nostalgic link with the institution’s past in that it was carved from a ceiling beam of yellow pine from Westover Hall, the College’s original building, dismantled in 1970. The concept for the mace was proposed by Dr. Clifton W. Potter Jr. ’62, professor of history (1965 - ). The final design and execution was completed by sculptor/engraver Richard G. Pumphrey ’74, professor of art (1981 - ). Two motifs—a leaf from each of four oaks—black, post, red, and white, and eight blossoms of dogwood accented with gold leaf—adorn the mace. The oak and dogwood trees are indigenous to the campus.
Mason Center: Walter G. Mason Center for Business Development, Mr. Ben Mayhew ’91, ’02 MBA, director. Between 1996 and June 2001, the name was the “Walter G. Mason Center for Business Development and Economic Research” and then became the "Walter G. Mason Center for Business and Economic Research and Development." The Center became part of the Lynchburg College Centers of Distinction in 2002 (changed to “The Centers of Lynchburg College” in 2003). The Mason Lecture was started officially in 1988 and is sponsored by the Mason Center and the Lynchburg Regional Chamber of Commerce. The Center became part of the School of Business and Economics in fall 2004.Dr. Joe Turek assumed leadership of the Center in early 2011.
McGhee Bridge (Claytor Nature Study Center): Constructed in 2010 to connect the educational classroom/lab facility to the farm house, the bridge was given by Mr. and Mrs. Albert Simpson and Elizabeth McGhee in honor of Mrs. McGhee’s sister, Virginia Boyd Claytor, and A. Boyd Claytor. Dedication was held on October 23, 2010.
McMillan Nursing Building: Completed in October 1986; dedicated on April 11, 1987; and named in memory of Mary Moore McMillan and Bruce McMillan Jr. The building was made possible by a gift from the Bruce McMillan Jr. Foundation, Inc. (Overton, Tex.) and a challenge grant from the Morgan Foundation (Richmond, Va.) matched by several local businesses. The first baccalaureate nursing degree program in Central Va., it became part of the curriculum in 1979.
McWane Hall: Completed in 1966 and named in honor of a prominent Lynchburg family, many of whose members served on the LC Board of Trustees. Building plaque copy: McWane Hall/Named in honor of six members of the McWane family who were instrumental in the founding and development of Lynchburg College/Henry Edward McWane/R.C. McWane/James R. McWane/Lawrence H. McWane/Fred W. McWane/Henry E. McWane/Erected 1966/Dedicated June 3, 1967
Memorial Ballroom: Correct name for the third floor room of Hall Campus Center used for numerous lectures, dances, and special events. Campus community members usually refer to the facility as “the Ballroom.”
Ministry, Doctor of: See “Doctor of Ministry.”
Montgomery Hall: Completed in 1970 and named in honor of Dr. Riley B. Montgomery '19, president of the College from 1936-1949.
Non-discrimination statement: The entire statement (below, in italic) should be used in all publications used for external audiences. The independent clause immediately preceding the bracketed clause may be used for internal publications when brevity is necessary: Lynchburg College does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, disability, gender, gender preference, or national or ethnic origin [and complies with the requirements of the Americans with Disabilities Act (call ext. 8419 for information)].
Observatory: See “Belk Observatory.”
Omicron Delta Kappa leadership honor society (may also be listed as ODK or Omicron Delta Kappa): The Lynchburg College chapter was chartered February 1997. Co-founding presidents were junior international relations student M. Grace Nash ’06 and senior English major Rodney Young '97.
Owen Chair: See “Distinguished Chairs.”
Peaksview Hall: Completed the summer of 2005, the four-story residence facility opened that fall to accommodate 102 students in seventeen apartment-style units with six bedrooms each, a large living room, and kitchen. It was named for its view of the Peaks of Otter.
Petty Award: J. Edward Petty Outstanding Graduate Alumni Award (for an alumnus/a of the graduate program in education), established as the School of Education and Human Development Outstanding Alumni Award in 1994 and renamed the Petty award in May 1996.
Phi Kappa Phi (the academic honor society at Lynchburg College): When writing the name of the society in a sentence, the word "the" can appear upper or lower case, i.e. The/the Lynchburg College Chapter of The/the National Honor Society of Phi Kappa Phi. The LC chapter was founded in 1994 and was the 268th chapter of the organization. It replaced the Gold Key Honor Society (which had replaced the Cardinal Key Honor Society, which had replaced Cardinal Key Honor Society for women and Blue Key Honor Society for men).
Pioneer Club: This alumni organization was chartered on April 27, 1963, primarily by alumni who attended and graduated from Lynchburg College when it was known as Virginia Christian College (1903-1919). The organization was established for “the purpose of a closer fellowship, which will manifest a continuing interest in, and concern for, the future of Alma Mater.” In 2002 the name of the club was changed, effective at the end of the Pioneer Club reunion in April 2003, to the “Westover Alumni Society.” Alumni may join the day following their 40th reunion out of college.
Presidents of Lynchburg College: The presidents of Lynchburg College and the dates of their tenure are as follows: First, Dr. Josephus Hopwood (1903-1911); Second, Dr. S. T. Willis (1911-1912); Third, Mr. G. O. Davis (1912-1914); Dr. George P. Coler (acting 1914-1915); Fourth, Dr. John T. T. Hundley (1915-1936); Fifth, Dr. Riley B. Montgomery ’19 (1936-1949); Sixth, Dr. Orville W. Wake ’32 (1949-1964); Seventh, Dr. M. Carey Brewer ’49, ’85 LLD (1964-1983); Eighth, Dr. George N. Rainsford (1983-1993); Ninth, Dr. Charles O. Warren (1993-2001); Tenth, Dr. Kenneth R. Garren (2001- ). Acting president George Coler is not counted as an official president.
Rainsford House: One of first three townhouses constructed on LC campus and dedicated on September 26, 2003 in honor of George N. Rainsford ’93 DHL, eighth president of Lynchburg College from 1983-1993.
Ramsey-Freer Herbarium: See “Herbarium.”
Rosser Award: Shirley E. Rosser Award for Excellence in Teaching: Established in 1988-89. The top teaching honor given by LC is presented each year to a member of the teaching faculty of the College in recognition of personal and inspirational teaching, consistency of course preparation, current study in one's field, and encouragement given to students to be active and lifelong learners. The award is named for Dr. Shirley E. Rosser, a professor in the Department of Physics at Lynchburg College for forty-five years. A 1940 graduate of the College, he was loved and respected by many generations of students and faculty. To be considered for the Rosser Award, a faculty member must be nominated by a student currently enrolled at Lynchburg College. The selection committee comprises previous Rosser Award recipients and considers student comments and any support documentation submitted by the nominee.
1989 Dr. G. Kenneth West
1990 Dr. Joan P. Hunt
1991 Dr. Thomas C. Brickhouse
1992 Dr. Thomas A. Looney
1993 Ms. Thomas C. Allen
1994 Dr. Clifton Potter Jr. '62
1995 Ms. Elsie Bock
1996 Dr. Julius A. Sigler '62
1997 Dr. Daniel C. Lang
1998 Dr. Richard C. Burke
1999 Dr. Michael W. Santos
2000 Dr. David J. Lipani
2001 Dr. Neal Sumerlin
2002 Dr. Joseph Turek
2003 Dr. Terese Hartman
2004 Ms. Judy Smotrel
2005 Ms. Nancy Schneider
2006 Dr. Robert White
2007 Dr. Phillip H. Stump
2008 Mr. Richard Pumphrey '74
2009 Dr. Priscilla Gannicott
2010 Dr. Sabita Manian
2011 Dr. Lesley Friedman
2012 Dr. Lorna Dawson
2013 Dr. Timothy Meinke
2014 Dr. Elza Tiner
Schewel Hall: Construction of the 68,000-square-foot facility began in fall 2003 and the facility opened as Centennial Hall in fall 2005, with dedication October 8, 2005. The building accommodates the School of Business and Economics, the School of Communication and the Arts (communication studies and performing arts only), modern language resource center, and conference and community outreach facilities. In May 2007, the building was renamed Elliot & Rosel Schewel Hall in honor of former Virginia Assembly senator and honorary life overseer Elliot ’00 DHL and associate professor emerita, trustee, and former chair of the Board of Trustees Rosel H. Schewel ’71 MEd, ’83 EdS, ’00 DEd, both of whom have been major supporters of the College for many years.
Senior Symposium: In the required senior symposium, all Lynchburg College seniors share a capstone experience in which they confront the great moral issues of history as found in “great books” and as illuminated by guest lecturers. Students clarify their ideas through small-group discussions and by writing to express those ideas. Two hours of academic credit are awarded for successful completion of this one-semester course.
SERVE: See “Students Engaged in Responsible Volunteer Experiences.”
Shackelford Hall: Completed in 1963 and named for William Graves Shackelford, dean of the College from 1915 to 1927, under President Hundley; former professor of mathematics and secretary/treasurer of the trustees
Snidow Chapel-Hebb Music Center: Completed in 1966 and dedicated in 1967; chapel named in honor of Clifton L. Snidow Sr., in recognition for years of service in the Christian Church (Disciples of Christ) and as member and chair of the LC Board of Trustees; music center named for Mrs. Rosalie Hebb and Mr. Leon Hebb, benefactors of the College. The facility also features the Helen Wood Recital Hall, named in memory of a former music professor at the College. Handicap restroom facilities were added in 2011.
Sommerville Scholar: The Richard Clarke Sommerville Scholar (also correct as the Sommerville Scholar): Established in 1963 by friends and former students of Dr. Sommerville; awarded annually to a rising senior of good character as evidenced by ideals, attitudes, observance of College regulations, and personal behavior; who has an overall quality point average in academic subjects of 3.5 or better; and who has exhibited the qualities so important to Dr. Sommerville–academic achievement, broad intellectual curiosity, and contributions to the Lynchburg College community. The award was named in honor of Richard Clarke Sommerville, professor of philosophy and psychology at Lynchburg College from 1928 to 1947. He was a scholar, teacher, amateur musician, artist and thespian, and a friend to students. He was invited to Lynchburg College while a professor at Southwestern College in Memphis. Early in his tenure at the College he persuaded the faculty to institute a philosophy requirement. He also specified more general education courses for his major than required for other majors. He retired at age 70 and was called back to teach one or two classes each year, teaching his final course at age 79.
1965-66 Madeline Ann Cyrus
1966-67 Susan L. Bundy
1967-68 Carolyn F. Cyrus
1968-69 Jesse Randolph Rea
1969-70 Robert J. Munro
1970-71 Gary Allen Phillips
1971-72 Elizabeth K. Bauman
1972-73 Charles W. Phillips
Martha E. Tonkin
1973-74 Wayne Terwilliger
1974-75 Julia Scrogham Campbell
1975-76 Patricia S. Worsham
1976-77 Barry L. Burks
1977-78 Kathryn Luth
1978-79 Eric A. Barringer
Frances G. Miles
1979-80 Gerald Keith Almond
1980-81 Mona Z. Tomlinson
1981-82 Donald Carl Baker
1982-83 Colleen Michele Morley
1983-84 Kimberly A. Williams
1984-85 Stephen F. Rothemich
1985-86 Glenda A. Dawson
1986-87 George H. Montanari
1987-88 Stephen C. Smith
Lisa M. Wilson
1988-89 Cassie Farthing Hagan
1989-90 Roland V. Harris
1990-91 Victoria Williams
1991-92 Alice Pearson
1992-93 Analisa B. Janda
1993-94 J. Kevin Scott
1994-95 Christine Gannon
1995-96 Barbara Batchelder
1996-97 Marcy Mezzano
1997-98 Megan Leigh Herward
1998-99 Melissa Beaver
1999-00 Andrew S. Miller
2000-01 Karen K. McKay
2001-02 Lehticia Jean Deskins
2002-03 Benjamin Lee Hannas
2003-04 Ashley K. Markovitch
2004-05 Koryn Johnston
2005-06 Adam Tinklepaugh
2006-07 Lacey Ore
2007-08 Leslie Ann Harris
2008-09 Joseph D. Orenstein
2009-10 Shannon Melchior
2010-11 Anna Piddubna
2011-12 Callom Harkrader
2012-13 Brandon Gannicott
2013-14 Garrett Corless
Stinger's Coffee 'n Such coffeehouse: Established by students in 1999 and originally located on the lower level of the Spiritual Life Center (corner of Brevard and College Streets), this facility is a non-alcohol site for evening relaxation and conversation. Location was moved to lower level of Rainsford House in fall 2003.
Students Engaged in Responsible Volunteer Experiences (SERVE): Usually called “SERVE” by members of the campus community, this office is responsible for seeking opportunities for and assigning volunteer activities to members of the campus community.
Sydnor Award: Sydnor Professorship Award for Teaching Excellence, presented annually by the School of Business and Economics in memory of businessman and civic leader C. Raine Sydnor '31, a founder of the College’s Board of Overseers.
Tate Hall: Completed in 1967 and named in honor of Dr. John A. Tate, president of the Board of Trustees, a Disciples minister, and important in the Riley administration
Thompson Award: M. Weldon Thompson Award (School of Education and Human Development outstanding senior in education award)
Thompson Education Building: Completed in 1986 and named in honor of education professor, Dr. M. Weldon Thompson. The building was renovated, and two wings and a garden were added in summer 2008, dedicated on October 3, 2008.
Thornton Award: Richard H. Thornton Award for Excellence, also known as the Thornton Scholar Award, established in 1974 in honor of Dr. Richard H. Thornton ’07 (1907), ’68 LLD, ’68 DHL to recognize alumni who have made significant contributions to their fields of expertise. Candidates must have received their degrees at least twenty years ago and are selected by a committee of members from the LC Chapter of Phi Kappa Phi.
Turner Gymnasium: Proper name is John M. Turner Jr. Gymnasium, completed in 1969, renovated in 2000, and named in honor of Dr. John Mills Turner '29, varsity track star during undergraduate years and professor of English and dean of the College during his forty-one years of service.
Victory Bell Tower: Completed in 1993 and made possible in part by a gift from the Class of 1992. The structure houses the old College bell, originally rung to begin and dismiss classes and at the end of victorious varsity games. The tradition of ringing the bell for athletic victories continues, and the bell is also rung at the close of the commencement ceremonies and for other special occasions.
Virginia History Research Center: Originally known as The Center for the History and Culture of Central Virginia when it was established in 2004, Professor of history Dr. Mike Santos served as the first director (2004-06). In fall 2007, the name of the center was changed to “Virginia History Research Center,” and Dr. Kirt vonDaacke was named director. The Center was closed at the end of the 2008-09 academic year.
Wake Field House: Completed in 1969 and named in honor of Dr. Orville W. Wake '32, president of the College from 1949 to1964. Building plaque copy: Wake Field House/Named in honor of Orville W. wake ’32, sixth president of Lynchburg College, 1949-1964/Erected 1969
Warren House: One of the first three townhouses constructed on the LC campus and dedicated on September 26, 2003 in honor of Dr. Charles O Warren ’01 DHL, ninth president of Lynchburg College from 1993-2001.
Warren Award: D. L. "Pete" Warren Award (School of Education and Human Development outstanding graduate student in education award)
Waters, Paul: See “Lynchburg College Hymn.”
Westover Hall: Original campus building; purchased 1903; razed 1970; originally the Westover Hotel, a Victorian-style resort facility.
Westover Alumni Society: In 2002 the name of the Pioneer Club, the alumni organization for older alumni, was changed to “Westover Alumni Society.” The name became official at the close of the Pioneer Club reunion in April 2003. Alumni may join the day following their 40th reunion out of college. Also see “Pioneer Club.”
Westover Honors Program: Established in 1987, this program promotes interaction among a selected group of students (called Westover Fellows) who have a highly challenging curriculum. Requirements include an honors curriculum, honors colloquia, and a senior thesis. The Director’s Award for Excellence for the best thesis by a Westover Fellow was established in 2002 through a gift from Syed S. Towheed ’93. Professor of physics Dr. Julius Sigler ’62 and professor of education and human development Dr. Ed Polloway were instrumental in developing the concept of the program. The first co-directors of the Westover Honors Program were Dr. Tom Brickhouse, philosophy, and Dr. Ellen Hay, communication studies (1987-89). Successive directors were Dr. James Huston, dean emeritus of the College and director, and Dr. Richard C. Burke, English, co-director (1989-92); Dr. James Huston and Dr. Richard C. Burke, co-directors (1992-93); Dr. Richard Burke, director (1993-94, 94-95); Dr. Joe Turek, economics (1995-99); Dr. Richard Seymann, academic assessment (1999-02); and Dr. Edward DeClair, political science (2002 to present).