The Youth Development initiative's Young Champions Program involves working with students from the Fort Hill Community School. We work directly with young people who are at risk for continuing school difficulties with the goal of modifying future outcomes.
The program helps students develop the social skills necessary to succeed in a traditional classroom setting through experiential education.
Ten students participate in activities created by LC's Outdoor Leadership Program and in a project entitled, "Picture My World," which uses photography to teach reading.
Our goal is to help the students be successful not only at Fort Hill, but more importantly, in their home schools.
Upon completion of the program students will be able to:
- Identify the difference between positive and negative risk taking;
- Have the confidence needed to overcome challenging situations;
- Work successfully with a team of other students;
- Identify personal strengths and weaknesses;
- Realize the importance of accepting ownership of mistakes made;
- Trust and seek support from peers and adults when the need arises;
- Communicate with peers and adults in a positive manner; and
- Set and accomplish personal goals.