Cover Letter Outline
(single space paragraphs with a double space between paragraphs; do not indent)
Date of Letter
Employer's Name and Title
- State why you are writing.
- Name the position or type of work for which you are applying.
- Mention how you heard of the opening or organization.
- Explain why you are interested in working for this employer.
- Specify your reasons for desiring this type of work.
- If you have had relevant work experience or related education, be sure to point it out, but do not reiterate your entire resume.
- Emphasize skills or abilities you have that relate to job for which you are applying.
- Be sure to do this in a confident manner and remember that the reader will view your letter of application as an example of your writing skills.
- You may refer the reader to your enclosed resume (which gives a summary of your qualifications) or whatever media you are using to illustrate your training, interests, and experience.
- Have an appropriate closing to pave the way for the interview by indicating the action or steps you will take to initiate an interview date.
[If mailing or faxing signature goes here]
Your name typed
Applicant's phone number