Health Training Consortium
Understanding and Caring for Older Adults with Mental Illness
Event was held in March 2014.
8:30 a.m. - 12:30 p.m.
(Check-in, 8 - 8:30 a.m.)
1501 Lakeside Drive
- Dr. Peter Betz, Medical Director of Geriatric Psychiatry, Piedmont Psychiatric Center, Centra
- Dr. Michael Williams Sr., Assistant Professor, Counselor Education, Lynchburg College
- Describe the primary mood disorders in older adults
- Describe the impact of dementing illness as an aspect of seniors' mental life
- Explore effective patient-centered communication strategies
- Devise a successful strategy to deal with compassion fatigue
Presentation Handout (Powerpoint)
- $50 non-Consortium members
- $45 Consortium members
- $20 Certified nursing assistants
- $10 students
This activity was submitted to the Virginia Nurses Association for approval to award contact hours. The Virginia Nurses
Association is accredited as an approver of continuing nursing education by the American Nurses Credentialing Center’s
Commission on Accreditation.
Participants received a certificate of attendance verifying three contact hours.