The Beard Center on Aging at Lynchburg College annually recognizes three local gerontology professionals for going above and beyond to serve older adults in Region 2000. Awards include the Professional Caregiver of the Year, the Outstanding Geriatric Nursing Professional of the Year, and the Outstanding Contribution to Positive Aging. Winners are selected from a committee of peers who are members of the Consortium on Aging and will be announced during the Conference on Aging on June 3, 2014.
Make a Nomination! The deadline for all 2014 entries is April 11, 2014.
This is a great time to recognize persons who go above and beyond the call of duty every day to make a difference in the lives of the older citizens they serve.
Below is information about how to submit nominations for awards. Call the Beard Center at 434.544.8456 or email firstname.lastname@example.org with additional questions.
Winners in each category will receive:
- Framed certificate of recognition presented at the annual conference on aging
- $100 cash award
- Free registration at the 2015 Conference on Aging and one workshop offered by the Beard Center on Aging in 2015 (non-transferable)
- Recognition in local media and "Senior News" magazine
All nominees will receive:
- Free lunch during the June 4th conference to attend the award ceremony
- discounted $45 registration fee to attend the entire conference (optional)
Outstanding Contribution to Positive Aging
This person is an exemplary leader for other gerontological professionals. He/she demonstrates a commitment toward quality care, education, and/or quality of life for the aging community and their caregivers. This professional is currently employed in Region 2000 or in a Consortium agency.
- Lynn Burnham, retired (2013)
- Gary Cooper, Senior News (2012)
- Lynn Fox, Lynchburg Parks and Recreation (2011)
- Rev. Kenneth E. Burger, The Summit (2010)
- Louise Gardner, Crisis Line (2009)
- Tulane Patterson, Generation Solutions (2008)
To recommend someone for an award, please complete the Outstanding Contribution to Positive Aging nomination form and return it along with a letter of recommendation. Please include reasons why the person you are nominating should receive the award and use specific examples to support your nomination.
Outstanding Geriatric Nursing Professional
Since 2008, the Beard Center on Aging has recognized outstanding geriatric nurses that go above and beyond the call of duty to serve the aging population in our community. He/she is currently employed in the field of nursing or in a related position and provides caring, exemplary service and commitment toward providing a positive quality of life for those he/her serves.
- Kathi Cresson, Adult Care Center of Central Virginia (2013)
- Sandy Bradshaw, Gentle Shepherd Hospice (2011)
- Pamala Mutter, The Elks Home (2010)
- Joanna Goding, Oakwood Manor (2009)
- Rebecca Rosser, Babcock Manor (2008)
To recommend someone for an award, please complete the Outstanding Geriatric Nursing Professional nomination form and return it along with a letter of recommendation. Please include reasons why the person you are nominating should receive the award and use specific examples to support your nomination.
Professional Caregiver of the Year
Professional caregivers who provide direct care to older adults and serve in the capacity of certified nursing assistant, nursing assistant, personal care assistant, hospice aide, home health aide, companion or a similar position, and who exemplify the caring and helpful qualities of a professional caregiver and consistently offer outstanding customer service in their agency of employment are recognized by this award.
- Christopher Frazier, Home Instead (2013)
- Elizabeth Shultz, Home Instead (2012)
- Sandy Simpson, Home Instead (2011)
- Lucinda Tucker, Personal Home Care, Inc. (2010)
- Barbara Richerson, Generation Solutions (2009)
To recommend someone for an award, please complete the Professional Caregiver of the Year nomination form and return it along with a letter of recommendation. Please include reasons why the person you are nominating should receive the award and use specific examples to support your nomination.