Program Director for MEd in Reading
Dr. Thompson began her professional education career as a classroom teacher in Beaumont, Texas, where she taught middle school reading courses in an inner city school. Later she moved to a rural school where she taught developmental reading to middle school students who were struggling readers. After receiving her doctorate, Dr. Thompson was a faculty member at the University of Memphis where she taught teaching and learning theory courses. Dr. Thompson came to Lynchburg College in 2005 to teach reading courses in the School of Education.
Degrees and Certifications
- PhD in Curriculum and Instruction with emphasis in Reading, Texas A&M University
- MEd in Supervision with Reading Specialization, Lamar University, Beaumont, Texas
- BS in Elementary Education, Lamar University, Beaumont, Texas
- Certification in mid-management, Lamar University, Beaumont, Texas
- Licensed as an elementary teacher by the State Department of Education in Texas and Tennessee
Dr. Thompson’s research includes effective teaching practices, mentoring, and teacher dispositions. She has recently completed a one-year study examining the teaching practices of effective urban classroom teachers. Dr. Thompson has presented at numerous national conferences and sits on the Communications Committee of the Association of Teacher Educators. Her most recent published article is titled “Effective Teachers in Urban School Settings: Linking Teacher Disposition and Student Performance on Standardized Tests” in The Journal of Authentic Learning.
Dr. Thompson teaches graduate and undergraduate reading courses as well as instructional strategies and classroom management.
- Reading and Acquisitions I & II
- Field Placement II
- Content Area Reading
- Teaching in Middle and Secondary School
- Children’s Literature
- Reading in the Diverse Classroom
- Theories and Techniques of Teaching
- Survey of Effective Reading Methods
- Reading and Study Skills in the Content Area
- Organization and Supervision of Reading
- Assessment, Diagnosis, and Remediation of Reading Problems