Professor of Philosophy
- PhD in Philosophy, University at Buffalo, Buffalo, N. Y., September 1993
- MA in Philosophy, University at Albany, Albany, N.Y. May 1990
- BA in Philosophy and Modern Languages, Union College, Schenectady, N.Y., June 1988
- Université de Rennes, Rennes, France, Intensive Study in French Literature and Language, Fall 1987
- Lynchburg College Professor: May 2006 – present
- Associate Professor: 1993 – May 2006, tenure awarded 1999
- SUNY Buffalo: Instructor, Department of Philosophy, 1991-1993
- Canisius College: Instructor, Department of Philosophy, 1990-1992
- SUNY Albany: Instructor, Department of Philosophy and Department of Humanities, 1990
Professional/ Research Interests
- Early Modern Philosophy
Information on Courses Taught
- Analytic Philosophy
- Classic American Philosophy
- Introduction to Deductive Logic
- Modern European philosophy
- Symbolic Logic
- Theory of Knowledge
- Introduction to Philosophical Problems
- Introduction to Ethics
- “Pragmatism: The Unformulated Method of Bishop Berkeley.” Journal of the History of Philosophy XXXXI, 1 (January 2003): 81-96.
- “The Method of Inquiry: Descartes & Peirce Revisited. Transactions of the Charles S. Peirce Society XXXV (Fall 1999): 724-746.
- Contributor, Pragmatism: An Annotated Bibliography 1898-1940, Value Inquiry Book Series, RODOPI, 1998. (One hundred entries on Peirce and on the French Pragmatists-including 75 French texts.)
- “Peirce’s Reality & Berkeley’s Blunders.” Journal of the History of Philosophy XXXV, 2 (April, 1997): 253-268.
- “C.S. Peirce’s Transcendental and Immanent Realism.” Transactions of the Charles S. Peirce Society 31, ( Spring, 1995): 374-392 .
- Tiercelin, Claudine. Peirce et le Pragmatisme. Transactions of the Charles S. Peirce Society XXX (Fall 1994): 1028-1032. (Book Review)
- “Another Look at Flage’s Hume.” Hume Studies XIX (April, 1993): 177-186.
- “Remembrance of Darkness Past: A Rejoinder to Flage.” Hume Studies XIX (April, 1993): 199-202.
Honors and Awards
- The John M. Turner Distinguished Chair in the Humanities, 2011
- The Shirley E. Rosser Award for Excellence in Teaching, 2011
- The Elsie Ervin Bock Award for Excellence in Citizenship, 2003
- Society of Westover Fellows Faculty Appreciation Award, 2005
- Organizational Advisor of the Year, 2004 (Theoria-Philosophy Club)
- CASE U.S. Professor of the Year Award Nominee, 2003 & 2004
- APA Committee on Teaching Service Learning Grant, 2000
- Phi Kappa Phi, Honorary Member, 2000
- Mednick Memorial Fellowship, 2000
- Lynchburg College Research Grants, 1994, 1995, 1997, 1999
- Lynchburg College Summer Research Grants, 1995 & 1997
- William T. Parry Prize for Outstanding Scholarship in Philosophy,1992
- Charles S. Peirce Society, Executive Board Member, 1996-98; Nominating Committee Member and Chair, 1995-2000
- American Philosophical Association
- Modern Language Association
- Hume Society
- International Berkeley Society
- CERISY La Salle (Centre Culturel International)