Associate Professor of History
John M. Turner Chair in the Humanities
505 Brevard #4
- PhD in Modern European History. Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey, 2003
- MA in History. Old Dominion University, 1997
- BA in History and Political Science. James Madison University, 1994
- John M. Turner Distinguished Chair in the Humanities, Lynchburg College, Lynchburg, VA. August 2016-2018
- Associate Professor of History, Lynchburg College. Lynchburg, VA. August 2012-Present
- Assistant Professor of History, Lynchburg College. Lynchburg, VA. August 2008-July 2012
- Assistant Professor of History, Caldwell College. Caldwell, NJ. August 2006-May 2008
- Assistant Professor of History, Dominican College, Orangeburg, NY. August 2005-July 2006
- Intelligence Analyst, Department of Homeland Security, Washington, D.C. March 2004-July 2005
- Intelligence Analyst, Department of Defense, Fort Belvoir, VA. November 2001-March 2004
Other Professional Experience
- Board of Directors, Holocaust Education Foundation of Central Virginia. December 2010-Present
- Co-Editor, Virginia Social Science Journal. 2012-2016
- Board of Directors, Virginia Social Science Association. 2010-2016
Awards, Grants, and Honors
- 2016 Curt C. and Else Silberman Seminar for Faculty: “Jewish Responses to the Holocaust,” U.S. Holocaust Memorial Museum
- 2015 James A. Huston Award for Excellence in Scholarship
- 2015 Jack and Anita Hess Seminar for Faculty: “Using Film and Media to Teach the Holocaust,” U.S. Holocaust Memorial Museum
- 2013 Virginia Foundation for Independent Colleges Mednick Fellowship
- 2012 Summer Research Grant, Lynchburg College Faculty Development Committee
- 2011 Jack and Anita Hess Seminar for Faculty: “Teaching about the Holocaust through Eyewitness Testimony: Using Interviews and Memoirs in the Classroom,” U.S. Holocaust Memorial Museum
- Summer Institute on the Holocaust and Jewish Civilization, Northwestern University, 2010
- Nominee, Fritz Stern Dissertation Prize, German Historical Institute, 2004
- Research Fellowship, German-American Fulbright Commission, 1999-2000
- Winner, 1999 Webb-Smith Award, University of Texas at Arlington, 1999
- Excellence Fellowship for Doctoral Study, Rutgers University, 1997-2001
Work in Progress
- On Planet Auschwitz: Holocaust Representation in Science Fiction, Horror and Alternate History Film and Television
- Our Germans: Project Paperclip and the National Security State. Johns Hopkins University Press, 2018.
- Editor and Introduction, Class of ’31: A German-Jewish Émigré’s Journey Across Defeated Germany. Academic Studies Press, 2017.
- Antisemitism in the German Military Community and the Jewish Response, 1914-1938. Lexington Books, 2014.
- “The Spy Thriller: John le Carré” with Wesley K. Wark. Major Genres, Forms, and Media in British Literature, edited by Kirilika Stavrena, Gale 2017.
- “[Im]Perfect Spies: Identity and the Pathology of the Cold War in John le Carré’s A Perfect Spy and The Secret Pilgrim,” Paradoxa, no. 24 (2012).
- “‘Our Most Serious Enemy’: The Specter of Judeo-Bolshevism in Germany, 1918-1923,” Central European History, 44, no. 4 (2011).
- “The Intergalactic Final Solution:” Nazism, War and Genocide in Paul Verhoeven’s Starship Troopers,” Shofar: Interdisciplinary Journal of Jewish Studies, 28, no. 4 (2010).
- “A World that Works:’ Visions of Fascism and Globalization in Starship Troopers,” Film & History, 39, no. 2 (October 2009).
- “Terror from the Right: Revolutionary Terrorism and the Failure of the Weimar Republic,” Journal of Conflict Studies, 27, no. 2 (Winter 2007).
- “She Wolves: The Monstrous Women of Nazisploitation Cinema” in Selling Sex on Screen: From Weimar Cinema to Zombie Porn. Edited by Karen Ritzenhoff and Catriona McAvoy. Lanham, MD: Rowman & Littlefield, 2015.
- “Germany’s Heroic Victims: The Cinematic Redemption of the Wehrmacht Soldier on the Eastern Front in Heroism and Gender in War Films. Edited by Jakub Kazecki and Karen Ritzenhoff. New York: Palgrave Macmillan, 2014.
- “Weimar’s Burning Question: Situational Antisemitism and the German Combat Leagues, 1918-1933” in The German Right in the Weimar Republic: Studies in the History of German Conservatism, Nationalism, and Antisemitism from 1918 to 1933. Edited by Larry E. Jones. New York: Berghahn Books, 2014.
- “No Future: Punk Music in Post-Industrial Britain and the United States” in Sounds of Resistance: The Role of Music in Multicultural Activism. Edited by Eunice Rojas and Lindsay Eades. Santa Barbara: Praeger, 2013.
- “Addicted to Cheap Labor: The Gulf States, the Near East, and Sex Trafficking” in Sex Trafficking: A Global Perspective. Edited by Kimberly A. McCabe and Sabita Manian. Lanham, MD: Lexington Books, 2010.
- “‘Was it All a Just Dream?’ German Jewish Veterans and the Confrontation with Völkisch Nationalism in the Interwar Period.” Sacrifice and National Belonging in Twentieth-Century Germany. Edited by Greg Eghigian and Matthew Paul Berg. College Station: Texas A&M University Press, 2002.
- “Women and Warfare in Early Modern Europe.” A Soldier and a Woman: Sexual Integration in the Military. Edited by Gerard de Groot and Corinna Peniston-Bird. London: Longman Publishing Group, 2000.
- “Wernher von Braun’s “Rocket Team” and America’s Military-Industrial Complex,” Library of Social Science, January 2017.
- “War as Extermination: A Review Essay,” Library of Social Science, May 2012.
- “We Ourselves Are the War:” Understanding the Relationship between the First World War and the Holocaust, Website of Ideologies of War, Genocide, and Terror, March 2009.
Academic Encyclopedia Articles
- “Jewish Women and the Holocaust,” Women and War: A Historical Encyclopedia from Antiquity to the Present, ed. Bernard A. Cook. Santa Barbara: ABC-Clio, 2006.
- “Warsaw Ghetto,” Women and War: A Historical Encyclopedia from Antiquity to the Present, ed. Bernard A. Cook. Santa Barbara: ABC-Clio, 2006.
- “Wehrmacht Atrocities,” Women and War: A Historical Encyclopedia from Antiquity to the Present, ed. Bernard A. Cook. Santa Barbara: ABC-Clio, 2006.
- “Gertrud Scholtz-Klink,” Women and War: A Historical Encyclopedia from Antiquity to the Present, ed. Bernard A. Cook. Santa Barbara: ABC-Clio, 2006.
- “Jew-Census,” Antisemitism: A Historical Encyclopedia of Prejudice and Persecution, 2 Vols. ed. Richard Levy. Santa Barbara, CA: ABC-Clio, 2005.
- “Alfred Roth,” Antisemitism: A Historical Encyclopedia of Prejudice and Persecution, 2 Vols. ed. Richard Levy. Santa Barbara, CA: ABC-Clio, 2005.
- “Clausewitz.” Makers of Western Culture. Edited by James Powell. London: Greenwood Press,
“Geoffrey Parker,” Encyclopedia of Historians and Historical Writings. London: Fitzroy Dearborn Publishers, 1999.
- “European Expansion,” Encyclopedia of Historians and Historical Writings. London: Fitzroy Dearborn Publishers, 1999.
- “Alfred Vagts,” Encyclopedia of Historians and Historical Writings. London: Fitzroy Dearborn Publishers, 1999.