Bonjour! French is spoken by 200 million people in 50 countries and is a language of international diplomacy and communication. Studying a language unlocks a door to different people, cultures, values, and ways of thinking.
You can major (BA) or minor in French, or take French to fulfill LC’s language requirement.
What Will I Study?
Your classes will focus on language learning and practice, conversation, writing, culture, and literature. Majors take the senior seminar, which concludes with an oral presentation and a portfolio of written work.
What better way to learn French than by living and learning in a French-speaking country? LC students study abroad at Laval University in Quebec, or in France or another French-speaking country.
What Kind of Job Can I Get?
You will be prepared for graduate study or a job in many interesting fields:
- Translating and interpreting
- Travel and food industries
- Government service and international diplomacy
- Medical services
- Fine arts
- International business
What Are Some of Our Graduates Doing?
- Teacher, Pittsylvania County Schools
- Targeter, Integra Systems
- Budget Analyst, U.S. Department of State
- French Teacher, Holy Cross Regional Catholic School
For more information about the French Program, please contact Dr. Bruce Mayer, .