Associate Professor of English
- PhD, University of Houston, Creative Writing and Literature
(Specialization Exams: Fiction genre; magical realism; early American literature)
- MA, University of Texas at Austin, English/ Creative Writing
- MA, University of Texas at Austin, Anthropology/ Folklore
- BA, Oberlin College, English/ Creative Writing
- 2009 – present – Associate Professor, Lynchburg College
- May 2011-May 2013, Director, MA Program in English, Lynchburg College
- 2004-05; 2006-09 – Assistant Professor, Lynchburg College
- 2000-2004 – Assistant Professor, Dept. of Literature and Languages, Sul Ross State University, Alpine, Texas. MA and BA Programs.
- 2001-2004 – Director, Borderland Writers in the Schools, Far West Texas.
Coordinated program; trained graduate students to teach creative writing in three rural secondary schools for ten to sixteen-week residencies.
- 1995-2000 – Creative Writing Teacher, Writers in the Schools, Houston, Texas.
M.D. Anderson Cancer Center, 1997-2000; in bilingual inner-city classrooms, and at the Menil Collection, 1995-97.
- Additional teaching at University of Houston; University of Texas at Austin; St. Edward’s University, Austin; Austin Community College
- Courses in: Creative Writing-fiction, poetry, and creative nonfiction; nature/ environmental writing and literature; literature courses in modern and contemporary fiction and poetry; multicultural literature; Native American literature; literature & culture; composition
- Directed 11 MA theses in creative writing and literature
- Creative writing: fiction, poetry, and nonfiction
- Modern and contemporary literature
- Nature writing and environmental literature
- Magical realism
- Editing and publishing
- Folklore and cultural anthropology
- Appalachia and place-based studies
- Creative writing pedagogy
Sometimes pen name: Laura Longsong
- Out of Peel Tree. Novel. West Virginia University Press/Vandalia, 2014.
- The Eye of Caroline Herschel: A Life in Poems. Chapbook. Finishing Line Press, 2013.
- Imagine a Door: Poems. Cincinnati: Turning Point Books, 2009.
Select Magazine Publications
Over fifty published works including:
- Fiction in Richmond Magazine, Shenandoah: The Washington & Lee Review; Still: The Journal; Arts & Letters; New Orleans Review; FICTION; Cimarron Review; North American Review
- Poetry in Connotation Press; Journal of Humanistic Mathematics; Calyx; Southern Review
- Creative nonfiction in Kestrel: A Journal of Literature and Art (2014)
- James Michener Fellowship for Fiction
- Donald Barthelme Fellowship for Fiction
- James River Writers Award for Best Unpublished Novel
- Pforzheimer Fellowship, Ransom Humanities Research Center, Austin, Texas
- Residency Fellowships in Poetry and Fiction, Virginia Center for Creative Arts (VCCA)
- Mednick Memorial Fellowship, Virginia Foundation for Independent Colleges
- Fellow, Seminar Institute in Literary Studies, National Humanities Center, NC
- Pushcart Prize Nominations (3) in Poetry
- Individual Artist Fellowship for Fiction, Texas Commission on the Arts
- Project Grant, Texas Commission on the Arts, for Borderland Writers in the Schools
- PEN-Texas Award for the Novel in Progress
- Artist Residencies: Hedgebrook Cottages; The U-Cross Foundation
Professional Presentations, 2007 – present
- Guest Faculty, MFA Creative Writing Program, West Virginia Wesleyan
- Keynote Speaker (with Yvonne Murphy), Writers in the Schools/Houston Annual Orientation
- Associated Writers and Writing Programs (AWP) Annual Conference
- Appalachian Studies Association (ASA) Annual Conference
- College English Association (CEA) Annual Conference
- International Auto/Biography Conference (IABA) Biennial Conference
- Association for the Study of Literature and Environment (ASLE) Biennial Conference
- South Central Modern Language Association (SCMLA) Annual Conference
- Creative Writing readings at numerous locations
Association for Writers and Writing Programs (AWP); Association for the Study of Literature and Environment (ASLE); WriterHouse, Charlottesville, VA; Author’s Guild