Assistant Professor of Criminology
500 Westwood #6
- 2012: PhD, Criminology, University of Delaware
- 1999: Alcohol and Drug Abuse Master’s Certificate, University of South Carolina
- 1997: MA, Criminal Justice, University of South Carolina
- 1994: BA, Sociology, Wofford College
- July 2014-Present: Assistant Professor, Criminology; Lynchburg College, Lynchburg, Va.
- January 2013-Present: Associate Director, Delaware Space Grant; University of Delaware, Newark, Del.
- August 2012-May 2014: Assistant Professor, Sociology and Criminal Justice Department; Delaware State University, Dover, Del.
- September 2010-May 2011: Graduate Instructor, Sociology and Criminal Justice Department; University of Delaware, Newark, Del.
- January 2008-February 2008: Visiting Instructor, Sociology; Wofford College, Spartanburg, S.C.
- May 2009-July 2010: Consultant, ADAM II Project; ABT Associates, Washington, D.C.
- August 2001-September 2005: Instructor, Social Sciences and Criminal Justice Department; Benedict College, Columbia, S.C.
- May 1999-June 2005; Bail Bondsman, B. Chad Bonding Company, Columbia, S.C.
- Introduction to Criminal Justice
- Law Enforcement
- Bail: The Lost Entity in the Criminal Justice System (service learning)
- Problems of the Criminal Judiciary (Inside/Out Prison Exchange Program)
- Probation, Pardon, and Parole
- Urban Affairs
- Juvenile Delinquency
- Special Problems in the Administration of Criminal Justice
Refereed Journal Articles and Book Chapters
- Starks, Brian Chad and Gundy-Yoder, Alana “Race and Three Strikes.” Race and The Prison System, Book Chapter. Forthcoming. July 2014.
- Harvey, Angela; Van Gundy, Alana and Starks, Brian Chad (2013). “Pushing the Envelope for Evolution and Social Change: Critical Challenges for Teaching Inside-Out.” The Prison Journal Special Edition on the Inside-Out Prison Exchange Program.
- Starks, Brian Chad; Harrison, Lana and Denhardt, Kathy (2011). “Outside the Comfort Zone of the Classroom.” Journal of Criminal Justice Education, 22, 2, 203-225.
- Ward, Geoff; Kupchik, Aaron; Parker, Laurin and Starks, Brian Chad (2011). “Racial Politics of Juvenile Justice Policy Support: Juvenile Court Worker Orientations Toward Disproportionate Minority Confinement.” Race and Justice, 1, 2, 154-184.
- Payne, Yasser Arafat, Starks, Brian Chad and Gibson, Lamar (2009). “Contextualizing Black Boys’ Use of a Street Identity in High School.” New Directions for Youth Development, 123, 35-51.
- Harvey, Angela and Starks, Brian Chad. (2011). “The Inside-Out Experience: The Training Ground for Future Scholars.” American Sociological Association Footnotes, 39, 1.
- Starks, Brian Chad (July 22, 2009). “Denying Bail is Cruel and Unusual Punishment.” Delaware News Journal, Op-Ed.
Works Submitted for Publication and in Progress
- Starks, Brian Chad. “Race and the Pretrial Process in Atlanta and Philadelphia.” In progress.
- Starks, Brian Chad and Battle, Brittany Pearl. “The Impact of Legal and Extra-Legal Variables in the Bail Process in Atlanta and Philadelphia.” In Progress.
- Longazel, Jaime and Starks, Brian Chad. “McDonald v. Chicago and the Racial Politics of Guns.” In progress.
Fellowships, Awards and Honors
- Louis L. Redding Diversity Award
University of Delaware, April 2014
- Student of the Year
Division of People of Color on Crime, American Society of Criminology, November 2009
- University Graduate Scholar
University of Delaware, September 2009-May 2010
- University Graduate Scholar
University of Delaware, September 2008-May 2009
- Outstanding Community Service Award
South Carolina Chapter, National Association of Blacks in Criminal Justice, December 2004
- Pi Omicron Chapter of Alpha Phi Sigma, the National Criminal Justice Honor Society