Professor of Management and Business Administration
Chair, Department of Management
I have taught in the School of Business and Economics at Lynchburg College since 2000, and teach courses in general business and management (strategic management, HRM, international management).
- 2006-present: Professor of Management, Business Policy, School of Business and Economics, Lynchburg College, Lynchburg, Va.
- 2000-2006: Associate Professor of Management, Business Policy, School of Business and Economics, Lynchburg College, Lynchburg, Va.
- 2004-present: School for International Relations, Ramkhamheung University, Bangkok, Thailand (visiting professor, summers)
- 2005-present: Adjunct, International School of Management, Paris, France (spring breaks)
- 2001-2010: Chair, Management Department, School of Business and Economics, Lynchburg College, Lynchburg, Va.
- PhD, Management and Organization
School of Business, The University of Southern California, Los Angeles, Calif.
- MA, Applied Psychology
University of Missouri, St. Louis, Mo., Industrial-Organizational Psychology and Psychometrics
- MA, Developmental Psychology
The University of Akron, Akron, Ohio
- BA, General Psychology
The University of Akron, Akron, Ohio
- Spanish, San Miguel de Allende, Escuela de Bellas Artes, San Miguel de Allende, Mexico, July 2003; and Lynchburg College Spanish program, 2003
- Business Spanish, Department of Spanish, Lynchburg College. Lynchburg, Va., 2004, 2006
- International Management Certification, School of Business, the University of South Carolina, Columbia, S.C., summer 1995
- Human Resource Management Certification, Personnel/Human Resource Management (PHR) Society for Human Resource Management, 2009
Research and Consulting Expertise
- Crisis management
- Organizational and trans-organizational learning; individual as learner (adult learner); managerial learning
- Strategic management and planning – for profit, nonprofit
- Strategic decision processes (strategic motives, strategic decision making)
- Strategic human resource management; international human resource management
- Leadership and ethical leadership practice
Selected Awards and Grants
- Best Reviewer Award, Management Education and Development, Academy of Management, 2014, Philadelphia, Pa.
- Best Reviewer Award, Management Education and Development, Academy of Management, 2013, Boston, Mass.
- Irwin/McGraw-Hill Best Paper Award, North American Management Society, 2011, Chicago, Ill.
- James A. Huston Award for Excellence in Scholarship, Lynchburg College, 2010
- Best Reviewer Award, Management Education and Development, Academy of Management, Montreal, Canada, 2010
- Best Reviewer Award, Management Education and Development, Academy of Management, Anaheim, Calif., 2008
- Best Reviewer Award, Management Education and Development, Academy of Management, Atlanta, Ga., 2006
- Best Reviewer Award, Management Education and Development Division, National Academy of Management, Hawaii, 2005
- Teaching Grant, “The Case Method and its Variations,” Lynchburg College, 2005
- IBM Center for the Business of Government, Research Fellowship, Washington, D.C., 2005
- Scholar Leave Award (competitive), ‘Trans-Organizational Crisis Management: A Complement of Three Organizational Studies Pertaining to the International AIDS Pandemic,’’ Lynchburg College, Fall, 2005
- Fulbright Senior Specialist, Crisis Management, 2005
- Best Paper Award, Management Education and Development Division, Academy of Management, New Orleans, La., 2004
- Fulbright-Hays Fellowship, Summer 2004, Peoples Republic of China
- Best Reviewer Award, Management Education and Development Division, Academy of Management, New Orleans, La., 2004
- Best Paper Proceedings, Academy of Management, New Orleans, La., 2004
- Best Reviewer Award, International Management Division, Academy of Management, Seattle, Wash., 2003
- Best Symposium Award, Academy of Management, Management Education Division, August, 2003
- Lynchburg College Summer Research Grant, 2003
- Academy of Management Service Learning Fellow, Pew Charitable Trust, 2002-2003
- Mednick Memorial Fellowship, 2001, Virginia Federation of Independent Colleges (VFIC)
- Research Grant, Lynchburg College Center for Community and Social Justice, 2002
- Human Resource Management, edited book, McGraw-Hill, 2014.
- ‘Congruence, context, confluence: Reconciling diverse perspectives on international strategic management,’ Global Journal of Strategies and Governance, 2013, 19, 14-35.
- ‘Examining crisis readiness: An analysis of managers in the retail industry,’ Journal of the North American Management Society, Spring/Summer, 2012, 6, 3\4, 19-32.
- ‘Sumitomo Bank’, Golson Encyclopedia of Corporate Fraud and Scandals, 2012.
- ‘Lighting tomorrow with today: Toward (strategic) sustainability management,’ International Journal of Sustainable Strategic Management, 2010, 2, 1, 29-40.
- ‘Leadership styles,’ in Encyclopedia of Sports Management and Marketing, 2010.
- Leadership, Ethics, and their Circumstances, Lynchburg College Edited Readings Book, Lynchburg College Symposium Readings (LCSR), 2010.
- ‘Hunan Nonferrous Metals Company,’ in Globalization of Chinese Enterprise: A Guide to the Top 100 Companies in China, I. Alon and J. R. McIntyre, Editors, Palgrave-Macmillan.
- ‘Nonprofit CEO’s: How their context impacts what, how, and why they learn,’ Nonprofit Management and Leadership Journal, 2007, 18, 1, Autumn, 19-39.
- ‘How power dynamics impact the content and process of nonprofit CEO learning,’ Management Learning, 39, 3, 2008, 245-269.
- ‘Producing actionable knowledge: Applying Mezirow’s theory to the managerial learning context,’ Best Paper Proceedings, Academy of Management, Summer, 2004.
- How past remains prologue: A sense-making interpretation of the hindsight-foresight relationship, Futures, Elsevier Science, 2004, 36, 181-199.
- No pain, yet gain: Vicarious learning from crises in an inter-organizational field, Journal of Applied Behavioral Science, 2002, Vol. 38, No. 2, June, 245-266.
- Team sense-making: A mental model for navigating uncharted territories, Journal of Managerial Issues. 2002, Vol. 14, 2, Summer, 198-217.
- Mindfulness matters, 2001, Central Review of Business. Winter, 27- 32.
- A role for the individual learner in achieving sustainable competitive advantage,’ Management Development Forum, 2000, 35-52.
- Interviews with well-practiced preachers: Perspectives on spirituality, leadership, and the workplace, Journal of Ministry Marketing and Management, 2000, Vol. 5, 2, 35-50.
- The paradoxical nature of crisis, Review of Business, 2000, 21, 3, 12-16.
- Timing is everything: The optimal time to learn from crises, Review of Business, 2000, 21, 3, 31-36.
- Complex systems and sense-making teams: Conflicts, connectedness, and leadership, In Beyerlein, M. M., D. A. Johnson, and S. T. Beyerlein (Eds.), Advanced Concepts in Work Teams, 2000, Stamford, Connecticut: JAI Press, 219-238.
- Crisis causation re-framed, Central Review of Business, 1999, 29-35.
- Using tough times to competitive advantage, Review of Business, 1998, 19, 2. 4-9.
- The nonprofit executive as chief learning officer, Nonprofit World Journal, 1998, 16, 2, March/April, 39-41.
- Turning threat into opportunity, International Association of Management Journal, 1997, 9, 1, 50-55.
- Mavericks, visionaries, protectors, and sages: Towards cognitive diversity in organizational decision making,’ Journal of Business Strategies, 1997, 14, 2, Fall, 106-125.
Editorial Review Boards
- Editorial Review Board, Academy of Management Learning and Education Journal, 2010 to present
- Editorial Review Board, Society for the Advancement of Management’s Advanced Management Journal, 2002-forward
- Associate Editor, Journal of Management Education, 2012 forward
- Editorial Review Board, Review of Business., 2001 forward
- Editorial Review Board, International Journal of Doctoral Studies
- Interdisciplinary Journal of Knowledge and Learning, 2013 forward
- Editorial Review Board, Sage Open, 2014 forward
Local Boards of Directors
- Court Appointed Special Advocates, CASA of South Central Virginia, 2008-present
- Lynchburg Symphony Orchestra, 2013-present
- James River Council for Arts and Humanities, 2008-present
Professional Organizational Memberships
- Regional Fulbright Alumni Society, elected to Secretary 2006; president 2009-2010
- Fulbright Society’s International Education Task Force
- The Asia Society
- Academy of Management
- Strategic Management Society
School of Business/Economics Service
- Chair, Business Administration, 2001-2010, School of Business and Economics, Lynchburg College
- Chair, Management Department, 2001-2010, School of Business and Economics, Lynchburg College
- Cellist, Bedford Community Orchestra
- Avid world traveler
- Spanish language enthusiast