Director of the Master of Science in Nursing (MSN) Program
Assistant Professor of Nursing
Degrees and Certifications
- Certified Dementia Practitioner (2013)
- End-of-Life Nursing Education Consortium (ELNEC) for Veterans Trainer (2012)
- Doctor of Nursing Practice – University of Virginia (2011)
- Post Masters Certification in Wound, Ostomy & Continence Nursing – University of Virginia (2007)
- Parish Nurse – Jefferson College of Health Sciences (2003)
- MS – Gerontologic Nurse Practitioner – Virginia Commonwealth University (1988)
- BSN – University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill (1980)
A Gerontologic Nurse Practitioner since 1988, Dr. Overstreet has practiced in a variety of clinical settings including: acute care, ambulatory care, a Veteran’s Administration Medical Center, skilled nursing facilities, and assisted-living facilities. She continues to practice with Medical Care Associates, Inc., providing care to long term residents one day per week. As an active member on the Clinical Practice Committee with the American Medical Directors Association, she contributes regularly to clinical practice guidelines and toolkits, supporting excellence in nursing care to older adults.
After joining the Lynchburg College community in 2012, Dr. Overstreet worked in partnership with other college faculty to create the LC Health Care Consortium, bringing educational workshops focused on interdisciplinary care of the older adult to the Central Virginia community. Her passion, however, is working with both undergraduate and graduate students. Facilitating student growth in both knowledge and experience, whether in the classroom or in the clinical setting, remains her highest priority and fostering a growing passion for the nursing profession in all her students is her ultimate goal.