The highlight of Lynchburg College’s commitment to environmental education is the 7,700-square-foot A. Boyd Claytor III Education & Research Facility.
The building is located on the northern side of the property, just off of Woods Road. It is built on a ridge at the edge of the upland forest, overlooking the wetlands and the Big Otter River.
The building is designed to blend into the natural scenery while providing views and access to a variety of the Center’s habitats.
Make reservations by calling 540.587.6740.
- Ramsey-Freer Herbarium (LYN) is the largest Virginia private college plant collection and the fourth largest in the commonwealth, with more than 63,000 specimens.
- large observation deck overlooking the wetlands and the Big Otter River.
- integrated classroom/laboratory area with adjoining research laboratory.
- Discovery Room designed for K-12 classes, programs, and activities.
- research laboratory with adjoining chemical and specimen storage room.
- multi-purpose seminar room with fireplace and access to the deck for meetings, lectures, dinners, retreats, and other social events.
- The entire building is heated and cooled by Geothermal Heating Ventilation and Air Conditioning (HVAC). This is an alternative method of heating and cooling that uses the earth’s constant temperature below the frost line and significantly reduces our annual electric bills.